Longest Handgun Kill

I was calling him in. Him and a female came in at the same time. He was hoping to do a little dating, but I sort of ruined that for him.:) If you have never done it before, it takes alot of calling before you get one in. You have to call for about an hour almost steady. Then move a couple of miles and set up again. It's not like calling Coyotes that's for sure. Plus you have to get them in close enough for a revolver shot. It is alot of fun.

Rupe,
That has to be pretty exciting, for sure. I would have never thought about calling in a bear.

Rupe,
That has to be pretty exciting, for sure. I would have never thought about calling in a bear.

It is very exciting. There are some videos out on how to call bears in. One of them is titled Calling all Bears, I think it was by Carlton. Blowing on a call for an hour is hard work. I would like to get an electric caller one of these days and try it with that.

my longest hangun shot

I just saw this so thought I would add my story... i have a few long ones but my best was paced out at 168 yards... I was wearing some heavy clothes and kind of excited so I would say it was probably more like 150 yards.

I shoot a ruger super blackhawk 45 Long colt revolver. No work done.
iron sites, western style wood grip, western rig holster (or a cross draw cordura holster depending on my mood)

I was giving up for the day. Was fighting a cold, and was overheating as the 20 degree morning had warmed to about 40. I Was leaving the woods on my inlaws farm. (i get my chops broken becasue I hunt in rifle territory with a "pea shooter" as my in laws like to say)

Passing the barn my father in law asked what I had seen... my answer was... "nothing not a **** thing" he chuckled and said "over behind the sand pit in the meadow... saw a couple nice does... i guess they qualify as nothing too?" ( he is a ball buster)

so I circled back, belly crawled about 50 yards across a field. and sat up near a small tree along a barbed wire fence.

2 nice does... i picked the bigger and estimated they were about 100 yards out. I leaned my forearm against the tree sighted in a bit low (i was not sure if she was 100 or between 75 and 100, my gun was zero'd at 100 yards and 75 yards is still rising)

squeezed the trigger and missed just below her chest kicking up a hunk of semi frozen sod. She trotted and turned and looked around and moved about another 30 plus yards out. The other doe was equally confused and ran further out. Both quartering away and walking a bit skittish not knowing where the sound came from and still feeding the larger doe turned broad side at what I thought was 140 or so yards...she kept walking with that..."somthing doesn't seem right stance."

This time I did my BASE excercise and held about a foot high over her back and let fly just in front of her shoulder so she would walk into it. When The bullet hit her shoulder it sounded like two pieces of wood slapping together. it crushed her shoulder instantly. She went down, got up and then nose dived...dead. The other doe still wondered what happened... and finally trotted off...

Like I said, I paced off about 168 yards ( I Am 6-1 and my pace relaxed is close to 3 feet) It had to be my second most exciting shot at a deer.

My first deer with a handgun was the most exciting at about 15 yards. (1st deer with a handgun and my first deer ever) another hunt I had to move/crawl across and down a hill to shoot around vegetation and up hill at a bedded buck, I had to spook him into standing when I was set, so I could shoot him on alert instead of chewing his cud...that was about 50 yards... but 150 yards with 45 lc Corbon plus P ammo what a blast!!!

Here is my best to date. I was hunting near Casper Wy. with a bunch of SP brothers. I was carrying my 16" 240 Weatherby Encore pistol while hunting with my good freind Doug M. Doug was hunting with his KA built 7 SAUM. Doug had killed a nice buck earlier in the morning so we were now focusing on a buck for me. We had made our way to a spot were I killed a buck the year before with hopes of history repeating itself. Antelope began to materialize all over the distant hillside aftre a short wait. I spotted a nice buck that was bedded with a doe at over 500 yards away. Doug commented on me using his pistol to harvest this buck but I wanted to wait. We were pinned down, no easy way to shorten the distance so I decided to wait to see if this buck would work his way into range for my 240. I should add that we had about a 10MPH quartering wind, to much for my light little Nosler. After about 30 mins of waiting and praying two more lope bucks charged up to the loving couple and broke up thier courtship. As soon as I got a good look at the lead and more aggressive buck I knew I had to at last try for him. There was zero indication that they were going to work our way. I had shot Doug's SAUM the day before and rang the 300 yard gong with every pull of the trigger, so I did not hesitate to ask him for his weapon. Doug carries a Exbal print out for his rig so as I settled behind the XP he ranged the buck @ 555 yards and measured the wind. Then to his chart for the info needed to assure me the proper windage and elevation hold thru the Burris 3x12 B-Plex scope.

555 yards with a pistol. How cool is that! I am hooked.
Thanks Doug for all your help.

IMG_4512.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see u here Shawn. Man what a shot! Nothing quite like applying the dope and making a connection way out yonder.

That is quite a poke. You'd think there would be a prize for that. Maybe a hat or something.....:cool:

My longest happened on our SP group hunt in Casper, first my doe was the farthest I had ever shot anything a modest 175yds and then came my buck at 445yd's. Both shot with my Tanel built XP-100 in 7.21 Lazzeroni and 168gr Berger's. That's a long way for a southern boy like me but it was definitly fun.

Kevin

Whhooaahhh, that was a fun hunt wasn't it brother?? Man what a rig too. Love that Tannel Lazzeroni!!!

U know Shawn, i think i'd wear that hat everywhere i went in New York City. Be interesting to see the look on the city folk's faces when u tell them the story.

Shawn,
I am glad to hear you admit you are hooked-I think Doug knew that before you did though:D
Welcome to the LR hunting ranks-That is quite a way to start!
Wish I could have been there for yours and Doug's LR-hunting spree.
What will next year bring?
You guys might consider coming to Rich's LR handgun comp in June???
Congrats again!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.