Long range varmint hunting set up

DogDown1994

Hello everyone, my name is Will, I am 20 years old and this is my first post on LRH. I have been reading threads on here for a few years when i first started long range target shooting and have gained a lot of knowledge from this site. I have been shooting since i was old enough to hold a gun but really got in to reloading and long range in the last 2-3 years..

Anyways a few months ago i purchased a 257 weatherby vanguard s2 from a local farmer. I know the family well and they had won it at a banquet but already had 2 of them.. So i began loading for that caliber and since i already have my 308 for deer hunting i wanted to make it an extreme varminter.. so i finaly went with an 80gr barnes ttsx and got it goin 3835fps accuratly, it groups just under an inch and from what ive heard with a stock weatherby barrel and that caliber i am doing pretty well.. Anyways the other day i had a dog come in to about 530 yards and wouldnt come closer.. I have made 530 yrd shots on steel regularly and practice 1000 yards with a 308 regularly. Being that i dont have turrets on my 257 however and drop sheet with only my 450 yard holdover on it i decided not to take the shot. I use a leupold 6-18x40 with a lrv duplex retticle. Great glass but i want to improve my rifles capabilities. I am curriouse what u guys think is a good scope to mount on the rifle with turrets and clear glass for around $600. I know fox pro furtakers use nightforce but i dont want to spend that much cash on a rifle that i got for $400. Im looking at the vortex hs lr 4-16x50 ffp. Optics planet has it on sale for $580.. If you guys have any other suggestions they are much appreciated. Sorry for the big story buy i had to give you guys some of my background

Hey '94... Welcome!

Is that scope you got a VX-II with the Adjustable Objective focus? Just doesn't have the tall target-style turrets? I use the exact same scope (except with tall turrets) on my 6x47 Lapua, I click with it past 1000 yds and back regularly. Point being... would it interest you to send it to Leupold and get turrets installed on it? (I think they offer this service). Would be cheaper than buying another scope anyways. Especially if you already like the Leupold... :)

-Clint

Hi Clint. Well i have looked into that option but the reason i didnt go that route was because the cost to have it fitted for turrets was about 100 bucks and i wanted to get a custom turret wich was another 50 i believe. Thats not crazy expensive but after shooting my larger long range scopes on 338 LM and 308 ive realized that bigger objectives (50-56mm) suit me better. And bdc's are also not my cup of tea. I should have been more specific but i like that the hs lr ffp has a sniper style retticle in moa. And you can purchase the scope with a custom turret for an additional $60. Do you think i will be dissapointed in the vortex glass quality over the leupold or do u think i am on the right track for a longer range rifle scope with my preffered specs?

Leopold will change the reticle for a fee.
For $601 this weaver is ffp and an etched glass reticle. The HS series from Vortex is not an etched reticle.
Bullets.com They also have the 4x20 for under 675 from Weaver. Hard to beat bargin at that price point.

Have you had any experience with the weaver glass at those magnifications.. If so, how does it compare with the vortex or leupold 16x-18x scopes. I had a vortex pst 6-24 and the glass was fine untill about 18x then went to crap if there was almost any heat

This is Japanese glass similar to the pst line. I have the 3-15 currently on a 243ai. I have not used a vortex. It is much better than I expected. I had originally put a mk4 10x I have on the gun. Missed a dog that charged my mojo and decided I wanted a variable ffp on this rifle in case I decide to shoot some tactical events. I have about 40 rounds downrange with this glass. I put 10 rounds into a box test another 20 into confirming drops for the 3 loads and the rest on various targets of opportunity. The reticle is small until about 7 then it's fine. I have been on snow since I bought it and I have used it at night with a moon. Legal light it should be fine again above about 6 or 7. They have a lighted version but it's about 100 more.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.