Long Range shooting on an Encore frame.

Swift One

First time poster here. Another member turned me on to this site. I have recently quenched a thirst for an Encore rifle. I am an avid predator/ varmint hunter so I will be shooting the 22-250. However, I have recently been doing some long range target shooting (500yds and under) and really get a kick out of it. I have for the most part been using my friend's .308 savage model 10.

I was thinking of getting a set up for my Encore frame for long range shooting. 700yds would be the max. I would be shooting at steel targets and the occasional G-Hog. I was thinking of going with a 26" heavy barrel in 7mm-08 and topping that with a Mueller 8.5-24 x 44 Mildot scope. I would be using hand loads. I am not looking for tiny little groups past 200yds and would be hapy with MOA. Is this possible to achieve with the Encore? Anyone had any experiences?

Swift One,

While Encores don't have the consistant grouping ability of a well built bolt gun they may surprise you and many others. I have a Encore rifle in 20BR that can hold its own with many bolt guns. The barrel was one of the last to leave the shop at Virgin Valley Custom Gun and was built on a Shilen SS blank. Inital groups, with 40 grain Berger's, following barrel breakin ran between 1/2 in 5/8 inches at 100 yards.

What I did discover is that the Encore isn't as forgiving on the bench as a bolt gun. Each time you load it you totally disturb the rifle and bags. In addition, depending on how you close the action you may have different impact points. I discovered that I was shooting groups that had two in one cluster and three in another depending on how I closed the action. If closed slowly they impacted in a different spot than if you closed the action briskly (like you would do if your first shot missed a chuck and he was still there).

In addition, don't sell the pistol barrels short. I have a 15" SS Bullberry barrel in 6.5X284 that will turn in sub moa groups but is more difficult to hold in the field than the Encore rifle. It has accounted for chucks in the 250 to 275 yard range.

Regarding your 7-08 idea, and using your experience gained with your 22-250 barrel you should have a good time with the 7-08. If you do your part MOA accuracy is possible.

You should get a few responses on this site. There are a few guys who accurize Encores. I have an Encore with barrels in .264WM, .25-06 and .204. I just got the frame back from www.bellmtcs.com who did a trigger job on it. It came back with a crisp 2 lb pull. I also have a 1X oversized hinge pin from the same place. I haven't played extensively with it yet, but groups are hovering around the moa mark with the first loads tried.
I also got a beavertail laminated wood forend from www.midwayusa.com made by Boyd's. (midway is the only place you can get this forend). This forend made the gun ride the bags twice as steady as the skinny factory forend.
These three things can be had for less than $150 total and are a good basic accurizing treatment for the Encore.
You should be able to achieve your goals with your gun. Have fun and welcome to the site! ---Sam

Thanks for the responses. I have heard that the bolt guns will shoot more consistently but I am glad to hear that MOA at and can ahceieved with the Encore. I am new to the long range deal (to me, anything past 200yds is long range)and I am sure that I will have more questions in the future.

Swift One,

Today I made a trip to the range to verify 100 yard zeros on several rifles (I click for all long range shots and then return to my 100 yard zero). I must have had a senior moment as the first group I fired with my 20BR Encore rifle was tall and skinny. Remember what I said about consistency, well I failed to follow my own advice. This group was 0.272 wide and 2.05 tall with two distinct points of impact.

As soon as I saw the shots going vertical I knew what I had done but I fired the remaining rounds so I could measure it. I fired a second group where I closed the action consistantly and a nice round group measuring 0.320 resulted.

Craig in SE Idaho

I have a handi rifle that will go verticle once in a while. Definatly a brake open thing. Thanks for the range report. I am looking to use the Hornady 162gr A-max when Iget the barrel and scope. I am thinking the heavier the better. Will a 1x9" twist work with this weight bullet?

I have a question. Obviously, whith a break open action, every time you take a round out and put another in the forearm is going to sit on the rest at a different point, causing a different point of pressure on the barrel. WHAT IF, instead of using a forward rest, I used a good bipod instead? A rear bag supporting the stock obviously would still be used but with a mounted bipod, I figure that the pressure point would be at the same place on the forearm every time. Any thoughts on this?

Swift,

Do a search on "specialty" for posts newer than about a year. Then click on every one that shows xphunter as the poster. Then do some serious reading. Good stuff.

Carig Dodd, you ol' duffer. Welcome aboard. As soon as I get something to shoot we otta hit the range one day. You said you're a "clicker". I have to many of those senior moments to remember to 'return to zero' so I use a mil-dot.

These guys are shooting those "speciality handguns" out towards the mile mark. Flat amazing. Kinda wish I had those xp's back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Swift I build a few Encores for some guys and relitives the way I solve the forend perssure problem is by piller bedding the forend . that way the only thing touching the barrel is the two small pillers.
Fred at Bullberry has a "hangerbar" system that he uses and it works realy well but I have found the pillers to be just as effective and alot cheaper.

My 15" encore pistol will shoot 175gr SMK's at 2500+fps and shoot them under 1/2moa out to 300yds , the recoil is kinda roungh but if I were gonna shoot far thats what I would use my typical load is a 150gr Ballistic tip running out at around 2550fps.
I also have several rifle barrels that'll shoot around the 1/2moa mark.
The encore is a good gun to build on , you can have a 28-30 heavy barrel and weigh alot less that a bolt gun. Just like bolt guns they take alittle work to get them to shoot

Swift One,

xphunter and Roy have directed you to an absolute gold mine of information on the Specialty Pistols web site.

Regarding your question on the forend and the front rest, there are two factors that may help. First, my rests (Hart and a Bald Eagle) have a forend stop that helps me accuratly (consistantly) position the forend on the front rest. Second, many of the custom barrel makers for the Contender/Encore use a hangar bar that is attached to the barrel and the forend attaches to that bar. The forend doesn't touch the barrel or action. I am convinced that the hangar bar has improved the shootability of my Encore by minimizing any effect due to forend/bag contact inconsistancy. In addition, again thanks to the hangar bar, I have had not noticed any problems when switching between the front rest and a bipod in the field.

Craig in SE Idaho

I do appreciate all the comments and advice. I am not really wanting to get into the whole bedding thing but the hangar bar system sounds a little interesting. Which barrel companies do this? Does the T/C Custom shop make their barrels with a hangar bar?

I thought about going with a bipod anyways becuase I would have this creation in the field doing some prone work on steel targets and critters.

I also would be wanting to get a good forend for this. I am going with the Composite black stock and forend for hunting applications but would like something a little more sturdy and wide for target shooitng and for the bipod. I have seen some sweet custom laminate forends out there for Encores.

Again, I thank you all for the replies. I am new to this long range thing and really to Encores. BellM's forum is getting me off on the right foot and this one is helping out quite nicely for the "reaching out there" factor.

I have an Encore that has the 7mm Mag (26" bull) and it is a 3/4" shooter with minimal load development.

You have been given all the good sites, the only thing that I would add is that Ebay consistently has a lot of custom Encore stocks listed and you can find about any thing you want.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.