Long Range Rig - Savage 12 Series Varmint

rgonz8

I am looking into building a long range varmint rig to convert to 6mm Ackley Improved. I am researching different base rifles to convert and I wanted to know the general opinion of the Savage Arms 12 Series Varmint. Specifically the Model 12FV if possible. Accuracy? General quality? etc.

I was also wondering if it would be possible for a gunsmith to bore/ream out .243 Winchester to 6mm Remington Ackley Improved.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

The savage is a great platform to build off of. I had a 22-250 in the 12FVSS that would consistantly shoot in the .3".

As for reaming out the bbl, i am not sure if the price to do that would be much less than to have a true custom bbl put on. You might ask some of the smiths on here

take it easy
steve

RobGonz,

That is a fine platform to start with but as far as reaming the factory barrel, yes it is certainly possible and practical but the level of accuracy and consistancy will be determined not by the rechambering but by the factory barrel quality and fit of the factory barrel to the receiver.

IF you came in my shop I would recommend a new match grade barrel, I would also recommend fitting it in the same manor as a Rem 700 to get rid of the barrel lock nut system and give the stock a quality bedding job if it was a wood stock. The Rem 700 barrel fitting style is just a much stronger design. Also allows a larger barrel shank to be used which increased the stiffness of the barrel.

Also increased the time it takes to heat a barrel up because of the increased barrel mass.

Yes it would cost more for a custom barrel but you would never give the added cost a second thought after you got the rifle back and started using it. I would also recommend truing the receiver while you were at it.

Better to spend a more to get more then you expected to then to pay less and have to settle with the performance of a factory barrel.

Not to say that a Savage barrel will not shoot. Most do, but on average, rebarreling with a custom barrel will get you far better returns on your money.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

ANother thing I would recommend is going with another stock. the factory synthetic will work but it is very flexible, exscpecially in the fore arm.

Bells and Carlson make some nice aftermarket stocks for savage that aint to much

good luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.