.22-250 Rem Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

bowhunthard88

Here's a link to my review for my Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter in .22-250 Rem. It's an awesome gun, even if it is a little heavy (14.8 lbs.) for walking distances.

Savage 12LRPV
Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm LR
Talley Rings - Impressive quality, ease of use, increased strength
Harris S-series bipod 6-9"

2008-09-01.jpg

3-shot group @ 100 yds: 0.140"​

lightbulb http://varmintxt.webs.com/svg12lrpv.htm

Last edited:
If you put good optics on it, the accuracy will astound you. In almost all of the groups there is a good deal of human error/imperfect conditions (breezy, etc.). This gun never really shot a 3-shot group over 1" and now the cold bore is in the same hole. I have more loads to play with yet, when conditions are better. The only problem with varget is that there is a variation between lots, and I now have a new lot, so searching for accuracy once again.

Good Luck.

Great review. I have the same gun but with a Bushnell 4200 6-24x on it. I have had spectacular results with H 322 and the 52gr Berger.

IMG_0888.jpg

I liked it so much that I got another one to build a 300 WSM off of. It's actually cheaper to buy the complete rifle, then build it up from there than to buy all the parts on their own.

Great group!!

I haven't tried either H322 or H335 yet, or the 52gr Bergers. However, mine does like the 52gr Speer HPs.

I liked this action so much, that I am going to use it on my custom rifle build in 6NormaBR:

Savage Left load/Right eject - $450
Hart 1.125" dia. 30" stainless - $650
Sharpshootersupply dog tracker stock - $299
Then of course optics, haven't decided yet.

I don't have to worry about selling parts either lol!

Keep up the accuracy.

That's going to be a sweet setup. Have you looked into having the action timed and tuned? I have my new action getting worked over by Sharpshooter Supply now. When it gets back I have a 28" Pacnor Select Match in 300 WSM and a Leupold Mk 2 6-18x waiting for it.

Post some pictures when you get ithe 6mmBR all put together.

Will do, have to wait for the money tho lol. It really stinks when you have to wait, and that's all you think about lol.

Good luck, lemme know how it works out.:)

I also shoot a LRPV although it is chambered in .204 Ruger. As far as I can see, this is one of the best factory varmint guns a person gat buy for a reasonable price. I Topped mine off with a Burris Black Diamond 8x32-50 and load 40 gr vmax with winny cases and 26.2 gr of IMR 4064. Best five-shot group yet is .121 and I generally dont stray too far from the 1/4'' range. This group was shot at 100 yrds in Kenmore, WA.

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 194
I have two Savage 22-250's, and had a third one for awhile. Barrels are all 12 twist. Seems to like the Sierra #1365 bullet over IMR3031. Start with about 33.5 grains of powder and work your way up to about 36.0 grains. Seat the bullets about .002" off the lands, and use a Federal primer. The worst that any of these rifle shoot is about .350" five shot groups. One rifle (the one that's gone) would shoot in the .180" to .210" area often. The Mod. 12 single shot rifle started out shoot just under .40" groups, and now is shooting this same load (35.5 grains) at .300", and often dips into the mid twos. The other rifle shoots in the very low threes all the time as well, but will get down into the mid twos on occasion.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.