Long Range Pistol Project "30 BTAC"

True Blue

Yes that is part of the new shop, that is my assembly bench. I still have to move one lathe and two mills. I will get some pics posted when i get a chance.

So now the only real question, what about lefthanded model??

If you think about it, it is left handed. Grasp the grip with your left hand and now which way would it be easier to work the bolt? Score one victory for the southpaws!

If you think about it, it is left handed. Grasp the grip with your left hand and now which way would it be easier to work the bolt? Score one victory for the southpaws!

Hey your right!
Now when black diamond 408 realizes this he might as well send it to a lefty!! LOL

Can't wait to hear how it shoots.
Cam

Well? That is where i get my water.

Been out testing a couple 375 cal rifles, trying to get customer rifles done so i can play with
my toys. Doing a bullet test for "Montana Bullets"

I still havent made the dies for the pistol yet, let alone any cases. ****, i have a wall hanger!

I spent a few days on making the form dies and reloading dies for the project gun. It takes quite a few steps to shorten a 408 case and neck it down to 30cal. First i anneal the case to where the shoulder junction will be, then i run it into my first form die that takes the exsisting
shoulder down to .500" in dia. Second die takes it down to the 408 neck size. Third die then goes down to 375 neck size, i anneal after this step. I then shorten the case to 2.160"
Final form is done by using the seater die. I put the case in a special holder and chuck it in the lathe, then the case is inside reamed to .306". While its in the case holder i turn the neck dia to
.336" Trim to final length of 3.150" I anneal one last time, They are now ready for fire forming. I use full loads as there is not much to change as the angles on the body are the same as a 408 case, just the shoulder angle is changed a bit.

Test loads:

1st fire form test,
Retumbo
80 gns 207 horn Amax bullet set .030 from lands
2550 fps ave (light load)
no targets were used

2nd test fire forming
Retumbo
85 gns 207 Amax 2670 fps still light load, powder too slow

3rd test fire forming
H-1000
80gns 207 Amax 2650 fps light load group size .650"
82gns " " 2710 fps moderate load group size .680"
85gns " " 2750 fps " " group size .750"

4th test
H1000
82 gns 200 SMK 2755fps moderate load group size .302
(First loads with fired cases)
85 gns 200 SMK 2795 fps Moderate load group .310"
( these groups are shot with clean barrel and two follow up shots)
Still the loads have not come close to toping out for pressure signs, i
will move into a bit faster burning powder. The case will hold 87gns of
H-1000. A faster powder should get me into the 2800 fps area.

I did some 500yd tests but it appears the 8 twist barrel is having issues with
the shorter bullets im using for case work and barrel break in. This is designed for
the HAT 210gn AT bullets, they are almost 2" long.

This is my first attempt in shooting a specialty pistol, i have an issue with an
improper rest and rear bag system. The electronic trigger works great and helps
a lot with the wiggly bench i have. When i gets time i am putting in a concrete setup.

I will get a few pics of the forming process and finished cases.

Dave

Here are a couple pics of the forming of the cases.

forming1.JPG

forming_2.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.