Long Range, High Visablity Zeroing Targets

dieseltwitch

So This is my first post on this forum, I'm new to the forum but not to shooting. However, I am breaking into longer range shooting. I actually started out with something simple that would allow me to understand how things effect bullet travel. I used an Mossberg Int'l 817 (.17 HMR) at 100 yard and studied wind, temperature, altitude and shooting up and down at different angles. I learned a lot. One thing that helped the most was getting a target that minimized what I deemed as "target blur."

For me the simple ring target blurs when I'm focusing. So I developed this one to help minimize that effect. It allows me to just put the hairs in the gap and pull the trigger rather than having to do the dead reckoning way of moving the reticle on and off the center of the target to line it up. I have a simple bushnell 3.5-10x with a 40mm Obj. With this target i was able to get near same results at 3.5 or 10 power. It really allowed me to concentrate on my breathing and trigger pull and less on where its pointed.

I'm a drafter by trade so I made these in autocad. the one I use a lot is printed on a 34" x 44" piece of paper. I have them printed at FedEx for 7$ a piece. I wanted to share these so that other could print them and use them. My friends have found these very useful when they try to zero at ranges 100yds and over when things start to blur together :) The grid lines are 1" squares and print much finer then they look like so you wont even see them at range, they are only used to correct after review and the center dot it 1" in dia.

I can make custom targets if any one wants them.
I've attached a link to a PDF file you can take to FedEx for printing

Here's a preview.
ESizeSingleTarget_zps11295695.jpg

Thanks. That is a really great target. Can you make one that will be the same only a few percent smaller so it will just fit on a plain piece of copy paper for me to print?? That would be great for 300-500 yards zeroing. If its not too much trouble that is.

Also to tell if a target is going to be good at range i sit back a little and go cross eyed. If I can still tell where the center is its a "go" if it goes all sorts of crazy then its a "no go" lightbulb

Quick note - I noticed I had some of the numbering off on the vertical axis. It's fixed now but you will just need to download the file again using the same link as before

Thanks man. That'll be great. Really appreciate it. I've been looking for a good target. Several of my scopes have really fine crosshairs which make them tough to see sometimes on a target. In the field they are great.

Thank You I tried out new to me .284 Win and after getting use to the 13oz trigger pull we were putting 6 in 2" @ 150 yards I have never had that good grouping first trip to the range. Im so pumped about it so now Ill use this and walk it out to 1K
Thank you

Ron

Thank You I tried out new to me .284 Win and after getting use to the 13oz trigger pull we were putting 6 in 2" @ 150 yards I have never had that good grouping first trip to the range. Im so pumped about it so now Ill use this and walk it out to 1K
Thank you

Ron

Very welcome, Happy hunting :) gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts