long range beginner. NZ! :)

Dr Watson

Hey fellows! Well ive been a shooter for a good 15 years now, I've always wanted to build a long range rig but cost has slowed me... That and the kinda build I'm after has a fairly specific role, not as any sort of multipurpose Hunting set.

But I have just sold my Rock river AR ( which was a fantastic and accurate rifle), as far as range goes it took me as far as 450 yards on goats an deer with clean kills,

It seems once you start shooting any sort of distance you get bitten by the bug :)

So after some thought and a lot of research (a lot of which came from this forum!) I decided on Remington LA build in 300wm, in an XLR chassis and a whole lotta other bits an pieces :)

Anywho that's me and thanks fellas for the advice. I'll post up some pics as soon as she is painted.

Ben.

New Zealand

Welcome from another NZer. Sounds like an interesting rifle you are putting together, be interested to see pics when it is all done.
What part of NZ are you in? I am in Canterbury.
Don't be out off by the lack of responses to this thread, folks on this site aren't great at replying to the intro threads, but any other ones will get reponses.

Stu.

Hey pal! Yeah I'm in Wellington got around 2500 acres here so it keeps me busy :)
What kinda shooting do you do?

It's bigger country down there you d have some good opportunity for distance shooting ?

hello everyone im from minnesota and have been shooting for 20 years
i am new to long range the farthest shot ive taken is 400 yards and would like to stretch it out to 5 6 700 yards and try 1000 one day. i have an encore with 300 wm 7mm-08 and 50 cal smoke pole m y 300 wm i just put on a vortex 4-16 x50 and am iching to put it threw the paces im interested in learning how to dial in the yardage. i have also started to reload not to long ago

Hey pal! Yeah I'm in Wellington got around 2500 acres here so it keeps me busy :)
What kinda shooting do you do?

It's bigger country down there you d have some good opportunity for distance shooting ?

2500 acres will keep you busy! I've got 10.
I just hunt, but the bush in Nth Canterbury is so tight that we hunt the bush edge/tops most of the time. Shots from 300 - 600 normally.
I'm running a 7mm mag that I had built, seems to work well. I've got a small business making carbon fibre stocks if you don't end up going with the XLR chassis. Check out SG Gunstocks - Carbon Fibre Stocks - Home.
We're abouts in Wellington are you, I havea bro in Wellington and my parents live in Masterton.

Stu.

The property is between brooklyn and makara. My brother is looking for a stock for his rem 700 in 7-08, he is doing a super light weight build, ill send him the link.

Yeah this rig I'm doing in 300 wm is a pretty dedicated long distsnce unit... Heavy as anything and suppressed aswel, at least it will be comfy to fire...
Most of my productive meat hunting is done short range with fairly light cal.

Is there much fitting and fluffing about with fitting one of your stocks?

For a Remington 700 right hand short action it will be a drop in fit as I have my own Rem700 SA that I use to bed the action and floorplate with.
For the other Remingtons I can fit the bottom metal but not the action. A bit of sanding/filing is all that is needed to fit the action.
I will fit/bed the action for free if you send me the barreled action and bottom metal.

Stu.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.