Long Range 375

375rifleman

I was just wondering how far (distance) has everyone taken the 375 H&H,338x375 Chatfield Taylor,375 Weatherby I am thinking since it/they have a similar trajectory to the 180gr 30-06 that it should be able to go as far as a 180gr 30-06 but with more energy.

Just wondering what your average group size was I`m thinking of improving the 338x375 Chatfield Taylor I know it still won`t come close to the 375 Ultra but I plan to base the rifle on the Howa 1500 in 338 Winchester. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or information.

Interesting project. What a person wants is what a person wants, but may I ask how you arrived at this particular cartridge?

I just looked at some loads, and you could likely buy a .375 Ruger, get better velocity, factory ammo, more current load data, and have about the same invested.

I've had my wild hairs, and understand. But if your serious about LRH with a .375 you will end up at the RUM or bigger case.

The kids had a book "If you give a mouse a cookie...He's going to want a glass of milk". My guess is this is how the project will fare. I think most of us ease into the .375 calibers as we don't know what to expect, and half of what we read is not accurate.

I've enjoyed .375's, from the .375 Winchester to the Weatherby. It's tough to beat the standard H&H for a short to medium range big game rifle, but to stretch the yardage better choices are available.

Anyway, it's your project, and I'd like to hear more about it.

I'm with HarperC on this.

Big bullets going slow are fun to lob at things that go ding but..

If you are going 375 go RUM or larger. I have not decided yet on which direction my 375 will go but it will be RUM or bigger. Mjolnir or similar is more probable. All parts necessary are present except the reamer design and of course matching dies.

My shooting buddy just got his 375 as a CheyeneTactical.

For now, I'm happy playing with the 'little' RUMs. 300 and 338/300.

I have a 375 Weatherby, I have gongs set up at 300yrds, 600yrds and 800yrds, run out of flat ground around 800, so can't have anything further out. My buddy has a 375 Rum, at the time it was only just after it's release and he was using factory Rem ammo, 300gr bullets, I don't recall exactly what bullet.
I was using 300gr Accubonds at a bit over 2800fps, the 300 gong was easy to hit, so we both proceeded to try the 600, this was not difficult, but neither of us were coming close at 800, I ran out of elevation, so I switched to the 260gr Accubonds I had on hand, those were loaded to just over 3000fps, the 800 gong was hittable, but I think you would definitely need a 20MoA rail to do it regularly.
My buddy and I were both surprised that his 300gr factory ammo was only running 25-30fps faster than my handloads with the 300gr Accubonds, once reloading data became available for the 375RUM, it is evident that it is not that much faster with heavy bullets than the 375 Weatherby, why is this?

Cheers.
gun)

The .375 Weatherby is a very good cartridge. Rough guess I believe it will be 7-8 grains less case capacity compared to the RUM, and I would not expect to see more than 1 or 2 percent increase in velocity all things equal. Looking through a few loads most of the RUM's I see come with 24" barrels, and most Weatherby's at 26". Hand loads vs factory ammo is tough to make comparisons.

I decided on the 338x375 Chatfield Taylor because I think that the 338 Winchester Magnum will continue to stay around as for the 375 Ruger I just don't know I have a feeling it will be like the WSSM cartridges which were really hot and desired then just disappeared also I have heard that the 338x375 Chatfield Taylor is very close ballistically to the 375 H&H in a shorter cartridge length, and you can get a Howa 1500 barreled action from the factory so not much modification will be needed and I do realize that you can get a 375 Ruger with no modification but like I said above I don't know if it will stay around.

I decided on the 338x375 Chatfield Taylor because I think that the 338 Winchester Magnum will continue to stay around as for the 375 Ruger I just don't know I have a feeling it will be like the WSSM cartridges which were really hot and desired then just disappeared also I have heard that the 338x375 Chatfield Taylor is very close ballistically to the 375 H&H in a shorter cartridge length, and you can get a Howa 1500 barreled action from the factory so not much modification will be needed and I do realize that you can get a 375 Ruger with no modification but like I said above I don't know if it will stay around.

Obviouslt I cant say if you are right or wrong on that but I am fairly certain the ruger is here to stay. It has already built a reputation for itself in alaska, africa, new zealand and other countries where hunting is a major industry. It is a work horse unlike the WSSM's which were very cool had their own set of issues like feeding problems and a fairly limited market as far as the amount of people interested in them. the 338 win is an awesome little case. It is hands down one of my favorites and no doubt you will enjoy shooting the 375 but it wont be very well suited for long range. but close to medium range itll be a bull dozer like the other 375's

Component shortage is a reality, and it's anybody's guess what the next couple of years will have available.

I believe it will equal .375 H&H performance, and with todays range finders, and good turret scopes, get you farther downrange than we used to get. Good Luck.

I don't know the 1500, how much magazine length does it have?

The .375 Weatherby is a very good cartridge. Rough guess I believe it will be 7-8 grains less case capacity compared to the RUM, and I would not expect to see more than 1 or 2 percent increase in velocity all things equal. Looking through a few loads most of the RUM's I see come with 24" barrels, and most Weatherby's at 26". Hand loads vs factory ammo is tough to make comparisons.

Harperc,
My rifle is a Win Model 70 Alaskan rechambered to 375 Weatherby, it has a 24" barrel, my buddy's rifle is a Rem 700, with a 24" barrel. Even when he started handloading for it, it still didn't produce significantly more velocity than mine, 50fps tops and with ejector marks most of the time.
I would expect more velocity myself, but perhaps it's due to the .500" of freebore in the Weatherby round.

Cheers.
gun)

Does anyone have any information on the Nosler 260 grain 375 bullet it's not a typo is it? I think it would make a great long range bullet since it has a BC of .7?? in such a lightweight for caliber bullet. I'm still working on my Custom 375 and think it's a perfect match. Thanks for any info.

Harperc,
I would expect more velocity myself, but perhaps it's due to the .500" of freebore in the Weatherby round.
Cheers.
gun)

Thanks, I would expect more, but even with a bit more from the RUM the Weatherby remains a good cartridge.

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with both in a long range configuration (28-30" barrels). with as many of the variables as possible eliminated.