Long Action .257 Roberts A.I.

I have a brownells branded mdt chassis and I have an anti long action in it. I put a 6cm barrel on it and I can't remember any feeding issues except with hornady black ammo it just hates that as far as feeding but loves it as far as shooting. I just have the magpul mags in mine.

I think mdt has the same thing, but again, only for 6BR
Called them and did they ever help me today! The guy I spoke with knew a lot about mag issues with the .257 Roberts.
He was certain changing out the magazine latch would be the fix. So, (without charge), they're going to send me several different length size latches to see which one lifts the mag higher. Will get back to everyone with the results. And thanks to all who responded to me plea for help.

I have a brownells branded mdt chassis and I have an anti long action in it. I put a 6cm barrel on it and I can't remember any feeding issues except with hornady black ammo it just hates that as far as feeding but loves it as far as shooting. I just have the magpul mags in mine.
Yes, the Brownels Chassis is what I have too. Magpul is gonna fix me up with different length mag latches. I think that should do the trick, but I'm gonna get a Magpul to try also. ;)

Yes, the Brownels Chassis is what I have too. Magpul is gonna fix me up with different length mag latches. I think that should do the trick, but I'm gonna get a Magpul to try also. ;)
Ooops, that should read MDT, not Magpul sending mag latches.

Watching this. That Hawkins mag with the spacer May be what I need for my 6 Dasher. Can't get it to feed with a BDL with Wyatt center stack box and flat follower.

Watching this. That Hawkins mag with the spacer May be what I need for my 6 Dasher. Can't get it to feed with a BDL with Wyatt center stack box and flat follower.
😃 this is the beauty of these forums. Lots of great information being passed along. One of my "shooting kids", who's now grown up had a fantastic thought about my mag feed problem. His idea was to get a different follower, one a little shorter and replace the longer 30.06 follower with the shorter one. Then we'd secure a piece of plastic (of some sort), in the rear of the mag. That plastic would make up the difference in the shorter follower. This is what it looks like Hawkins has done, except there's is all one piece. Looks like 3D printing to me. 😁.
Hey, if it works, who cares 😏.
I expect with all the unique old & new cartridges coming into existence, speciality magazines could be a future business idea, especially with 3D printing. 😉

Finally! Here's the update. The latches came. The spring that applies tension to the latch is VERY STRONG. I knew I'd need help, so between a friend and myself we tackled the switch a roo. MDT sent a 1mn and 2mm height latches. Their recommendations were to try the 1mm first. We easily removed the pin holding the original latch and compared it to the 1mm latch. They looked the same so we quickly moved on to the 2mm latch. Did I already mention the tension spring Is STRONG? MDT did a brilliant thing. They include a small pin that holds the tension spring in place on the latch making lining up the retaining pin much easier. The spring is STRONG! Oh, I did already say that 😃. If you're catching my drift, that darn spring needs compression....a lot! But we got it all back together. Moment of truth; with fingers crossed......i slipped the mag in place and....the latch was too high to capture the mag. 😖 Frustrated we removed the latch and replaced it with the original. After speaking with MDT, they suggested filing the latch to fit. So here's my plan.....I'll file the latch just a smidge and try it, but without the spring. If I apply tension on it, it should hold enough for me to know when I get it right. It might take several filings and just the shear thought if taking it in and out with the spring makes my old fingers ache even more.
I did say the spring is strong, right? 😆😅😄😃😁😀

Will let you know how it goes.🤔

Sorry for being so long on an update. Here's where I'm at.... in the end, the mag latches that MSG sent didn't help. The 1mm size appeared to be identical to the one already in the chassis. We tried the 2mm one and that one would not latch up the mag. MDT said to try filing the latch to fit. Frankly I don't see much difference between the 2mm vs a 1mm. So I just put the original latch back in. And by the way, I purchased a Magpul mag, (which I like more than that cold metal AICS MDT mag). It doesn't latch up either. Magpul's mag has the right bulge in the mag body but the over all height seems taller. So when you insert it, the top of the mag hits the action before the latch can get a hold of it. So, if I choose yo run with the Magpul mag, I would need to file the latch to fit. Of course should I decide to do it, Magpul becomes the only magazine the chassis will take.
Back to the drawing board. I fiddled around, re-tuning MDT'S mag and i believe i made progress. All the rounds feed without issue. The true test is when I get a chance to run the gun on the shooting bench and put more rounds through her.
That opportunity won't come till April, weather pending.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Update #2.

Its strange how the tables of life turn. I've been coaching/volunteering/ and mentoring kids for years in the shooting sports. They look up to us as if we always know everything and at that stage of their lives, and we probably do. ;) Most of those kids move on to pursue hobbies other than shooting but a few stay in it and become truly great. This is the case with one of my best shooters from 2008. He's a 4H State Archery Champion, and as well the # 1 Long range rimfire shooter in our state.; nationally ranked too. He's waaay grown now and married. In fact I was the was one who was requested to perform his marriage. Joe is well aware of my .257 feed problems. He and I are frequently on the phone and last night he suggested not to file the chassis latch , but the magazine latch point. Why didn't I think of that? o_O
Now that I have the metal MDT mag running getting the Magpul mag to work would be a bonus. It's Polymer and very easy to file so I carefully filed the mag latch on it's rear side, just a bit. I ran a very small black line with a Sharpie marker on the latches edge as a guide to keep straight.
It didn't take much.....maybe .030-.040 and VOILA it latches just fine.
It's a comfort to know that not every young person these days is screwed up . The moral here is we old farts can always learn something new; especially from someone 50 years our junior, if we'd just listen ❣️