Loads for a 416 rem

BRChadwick

Any loads for a 416 rem, I've tried 400g A-frame with marginal results. I would like to try 400g barnes tripple-shock, but have to much compression with RL-15, any help or sugestions would be appricated, thanks

Welcome

No load info for 416 but am interested in your experience handling the recoil. You're shooting 100 MORE grains than I will be.

Am moving up to a 375 H&H and am not eagerly awaiting the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so to speak. Moving up from a 338 Win which was a real experience until I got it weighted down a bit. With the 375 there will be no way to add weight or a brake/break.

Just wondering....

The 416 does get your attention, I am woking up loads on a Caldwell Lead sled with 50# of lead in the tray. I don't shoot it prone but the recoil is manageable. I'm 6'4" 240lbs and that probably helps, I've had friends shoot it and once was enough. The rifle I have weighs almost 10lbs and 3-4 shot are not too bad, good luck

BR,
Not sure if this would be of value but I found excellent accuracy with my .416 Rigby using 350 grain bullets. Slightly less kick and better trajectory. Was the preferred bullet with the guides that I met who used the .416 in Alaska.
I practiced with the Speer 350 and hunted with the 350 A-Frame. Tried Barnes and they did not group in my particular barrel, nice looking bullets tho. My rifle kicks very hard and I can notice a reduction when shooting 350's.
Unfortunatelly Nosler and Hornady only make 400's, just got some 400 Interbonds tho that would be more reasonably priced than A-Frames.

I have shot my three 416 rem mags almost 2000 times all together .My favorite pratice load is 76 grs of reloader 15 and speer 350 gr bullets.Its about 2400 fps and easy on the shoulder.I shoot 410 gr woodleigh bullets with 78 grs of reloader 15 for the big stuff.I have shot my 416s 150 times in one day.That was after shooting my 338s over 300 times.I shoot from a standing bench and use two past pads.Its easier to shoot that 12 ga dove loads.It has a smooth push instead of sharp recoil.That first load coat about $1.00 each with new brass pretty cheap.I stocked up bought 8000 pcs of brass nickle and regular.

I shoot a 416 Wby rather than the Rem you asked about. I have had great results with the 350grn Barnes triple shock and the 350grn swift A frame. The Barnes group the best of the two. I am pushing both those bullets at a little over 3000fps out of a Shilen 28" barrel with a brake. The brake tames the recoil significantly, but it is still not a rifle for the recoil shy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.