Loads for 6mm 270 improved

tcdubb

Hi, bought an Alex Hoyer-built rifle in 6mm 270 improved. Any loading information would be appreciated.

I'm going to shoot 105 gr. berger vld and necking down 280 ackley improved cases.

Thanks

Last edited:
not real familiar with the case but i would think it would be alot like the 6-06. Lets see some pictures and a little back ground on the gun. Im a huge 6mm fan

Yotehunter, thanks for the reply. The case on the right is 270win, next is 280AI, then fire form 270win, and the last is the loaded round of 6mm 270 improved. I have a few loaded that came with the gun, but no information. I'm using a 280AI necked down because fire forming the 270 makes the neck walls too thin.

Here's a picture of the gun (built from a Remington Model 30) and letterhead from Hoyer's Gunshop. He was a long-range gun builder in Lewistown, PA, back in the 70's.

Here's a quote from an article I read, just to give you some background information. "Here I must mention a tribute to the late Alex Hoyer of Mifflintown, Pennsylvania. Alex Hoyer was a full time gunsmith, and has been called the dean of long range shooting. For many years he was involved in long range shooting and varmint hunting. Hoyer was very instrumental in developing the wildcat 6.5-300 WWH cartridge. He used the Weatherby 300 case and necked it down to take the 6.5 or .264 diameter bullets. WWH stands for Weatherby, Wright, Hoyer. Wright was an engineer who helped Hoyer in developing the 6.5-300 cartridge using the Weatherby case. Many long range hunters still feel that the 6.5-300 cartridge is still the finest long range hunting cartridge available.

tcdubb

Attachments

• DSC02886.JPG
    DSC02886.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC02887.JPG
    DSC02887.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC02889.JPG
    DSC02889.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 285
For loads I would start with 6.5-06 max loads and work up. Sierra manual has them for a 107 gr SMK. They note accuracy load as H4350, 53.1 gr and 3100fps

In my 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, I do not get much greater performance than I do from my standard 6.5-06. The accuracy node is just out of reach at upper end so the extra case capacity does not buy me much. But the Ackley Shoulder extends case life. I have no experience with the 6-06 but suspect you could end up in similar situation.

You did mean 6mm and not 6.5 mm right? I would be very careful trying to use 6.5 data if that is the case.......Rich
p.s. The same weight bullet in a 6mm shot in a 6.5 mm with equal volume cases will cause a lot more pressure. Your case will have more volume than a std. 'o6, but I would still be VERY careful and start low!

Reloadersnest has loads for a 6mm-06 Ackley Improved.

The 280 AI case necked down to 6mm would be very similar and As Rich indicated, with all loads, start low and work up.

I should have indicated caution in my earlier post.

Your wildcat would also be close to the 240 gibbs.

If you have access to QL, you would be able to get some ideas as it is in the SW.

I have a book by Fred Zeglin "wildcat cartridges" that identifies that cartridge as 71.29 gr capacity...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.