Loading A-Max bullet ????????

Agunner012

Is there anything that has to be done to a standard RCBS FL die to load A-Max bullets in order to protect the tips?

I had to take the seating stem out and drill a larger hole in it, easy to do with a drill press and vise. The seating stem is soft steel...no problems. Using my bonanza dies, even the sst was too deep for my seating stem.

Good luck!

Agunner, I was really hoping you would get some good posts on this topic. I also often experience the same problem on the long (vld) type bullets with the A-max being the most frequent. The tip of the bullet rest on the top of the seating die stem, instead of gripping the ogive of the bullet. This can't be good. I also wondered about drilling o hole in the top of the seating stem, but I was afraid that if it was not exactly centered , this would cause another set of problem. Also I wondered if you could buy another seating stem for VLD type bullets?? Good Luck and I'll be watching to see if you get any great solutions.

I had the same problem loading for my 6-284. I use redding dies, so I called redding and they sent me a different seater stem that hit higher on the ogive of the bullet. That solved the problem and they sent it to me free of charge. GREAT customer service!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.