Hornady a-max bullet length?

pikeman

So I'm loading up some 162 grain hornady a-max's, can I use the same setting on my dies as I did for the sierra game king bullets I loaded before? I made one up and the length of the bullet was 3.401 using my old setting for the game kings. The length of the bullet with the sierra game king was 3.215. They still load into the rifle. Was just wondering if the ogive of the a-max will still be the same distance from the lands as the sierra game king bullets were even though the total length of the bullet is longer.

So I'm loading up some 162 grain hornady a-max's, can I use the same setting on my dies as I did for the sierra game king bullets I loaded before? I made one up and the length of the bullet was 3.401 using my old setting for the game kings. The length of the bullet with the sierra game king was 3.215. They still load into the rifle. Was just wondering if the ogive of the a-max will still be the same distance from the lands as the sierra game king bullets were even though the total length of the bullet is longer.

No they won't be the same. Different ogive designs. If you are new to handloading just seat the Amax to the book recommended length to be safe. If you seat out to far into the lands you will get higher pressures. Amax's are very forgiving so its ok for them to have some jump.

I meant that the Sierra and Hornady bullets are different in length and the dies will need to be adjusted accordingly. Sorry for any confusion...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.