Load Workup Q? on 300wm

You have a SAAMI chamber (standard), tight neck means the chamber is cut with a custom reamer with a smaller neck dimension and the necks must then be turned and a smaller bushing used in the neck sizing die, you can mess a lot up (including yourself) attemping to shoot factory ammo in a tight neck chamber, it makes extreme pressure.

I'm not sure what your barrel length and twist are, but if I were going to shoot the 230 OTM I would want atleast a 26" 10 twist, even better with a 28-30" to break 2800fps a lot easier, but since there isn't a huge difference between the 215 and 230 OTM bc wise, i'd stick with the 215 as the heaviest in a win mag.

+1 on the 215, IMO it may be one of the best hunting bullets out there for rifles in the various 300 magnum chamberings. I also aggree whole heartedly that if you don't have a well ironed out system of reloading your throwing good money after bad results using the Bergers, and to a lesser extent no matter what bullet you load. There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I wish I would have had a computer 10 years ago when i started loading my own ammo, it would have made life a lot easier. I didn't start out loading high dollar bullets. I like nearly everyone else started out with the Nosler partitions and BT, the Hornady IB and SST and gradually over time realized I had reached the point that I couldn't improve the accuracy anymore no matter how many times I sorted the bullets or how much time I spent preparing brass. I could only get to 3/4 MOA consistently, from time to time I could shoot a real nice 3 or 4 shot group but invariably there would be a flyer that just didn't figure with the level of preparation I was loading at. I tried the Berger 230g tactical OTM purely out of frustration as I knew something was amiss. I stumbled on my load with the third group I shot. Lucky? Sure. What holds my attention is that as long as I do my part it will print 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups until I get the flinches. IMO I wasted a lot of barrel life (300+ rounds) messing with stuff that just wouldn't run I wish I would have moved to a "expensive" bullet a lot sooner, it would have saved me a ton of barrel, time and money in the long run. YMMV

Last edited:
It does take all of the "fun" out of figuring something out, doesn't it?

This site is amazing, because there's thousands of experts here ready and willing to share their knowledge on what they've learned. Makes the learning curve vertical.

Regarding the VLDs...I've seen a lot of load data for the 300wm that uses a 24" barrel and have seen tests where anything below that length starts to show a reduction in velocity (course it was factory ammo). This rifle is quite a monster for me in the hills and the woods, not to mention very barrel-heavy, and I'm very seriously considering taking it down to 24". My question is, do you think this extra 2" would keep me from developing the velocity out of the 210vld I need to really make it work?

Chris

Easy answer, the heavier the bullet the more it effect it has on velocity in shorter barrels. A common load for the 210vld is 73-77grns of H1000 depending on seating depth, with fed 210 or 215m or cci 250 primers in norma brass in a 28" 10 twist barrel for a MV of about 2950fps, this combo doesn't typically work well in a 24" barrel because that high of a powder charge of that powder will not get a clean full burn before the bullet exits the muzzle, so you in turn step back to a lower charge of a faster powder like H4831sc, then you will be extremely hard on cases to break 2800fps. 26" is a happy median so to speak.

Regarding the VLDs...I've seen a lot of load data for the 300wm that uses a 24" barrel and have seen tests where anything below that length starts to show a reduction in velocity (course it was factory ammo). This rifle is quite a monster for me in the hills and the woods, not to mention very barrel-heavy, and I'm very seriously considering taking it down to 24". My question is, do you think this extra 2" would keep me from developing the velocity out of the 210vld I need to really make it work?

Chris

IMO you could see 2,700fps + before pressure puts an end to safe fun. A .30/06 with a 24" barrel can launch a 200g bullet at 2,580fps according to hodgdon.com using h4831. 300 win mag just begs for at least a 26" tube to take full advantage of powders like Retumbo, H1000, and US869. If its nose heavy add some weight in the stock, I wouldn't cut that tube down personally. It's your toy, play wih it as you enjoy. YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.