Load prepping for 174HH

kobukat

Hi,
My first post/thread here. I've a box of Hammer Hunter 174 for my 1903. I understand the bearing surface is not as great as lets say a Barnes….of any kind. So….I resized & primed some new Lapua brass and primed some 210GM's.
Now, at a stand still for powder. I've sufficient amounts of both IMR4350 and R19 to charge the rounds. I didn't buy a new chrony yet as my last one got shot by a 9mm….darn small pistol grips! After all the yrs of passing rounds up to .458's over the sensors a 9mm killed it.
Anyways, what respective charges give what supposed velocities if I may ask with that particular bullet in the aught six?

Hi,
My first post/thread here. I've a box of Hammer Hunter 174 for my 1903. I understand the bearing surface is not as great as lets say a Barnes….of any kind. So….I resized & primed some new Lapua brass and primed some 210GM's.
Now, at a stand still for powder. I've sufficient amounts of both IMR4350 and R19 to charge the rounds. I didn't buy a new chrony yet as my last one got shot by a 9mm….darn small pistol grips! After all the yrs of passing rounds up to .458's over the sensors a 9mm killed it.
Anyways, what respective charges give what supposed velocities if I may ask with that particular bullet in the aught six?
Deleted

I just checked, and at present the HH load data does not have an entry for 30/06 and the 174 gn HH. Since I don't know how much reloading experience you have, I'm hesitant to offer any charge weight suggestions. You are basically working up from an unknown. You didn't mention the barrel length, or the twist rate, so again, I have to assume you have done your own research and decided the 174 is the bullet for your gun.

In my limited experience, and from comparing loads listed on the HH sheets vs the load data for Barnes Bullets, I have seen "similar" charge weights for Hammer Hunter bullets and same weight Barnes LRX BT. If I were developing a load for a 30/06 and HH 174 gn, I would probably look at the data for the Barnes 175 gn LRX BT. I would then knock 10% off the listed MINIMUM, and start slowly working up from there. After each shot I would be looking for any signs of pressure.

That's just what I would do. You make your own decisions, and remember that most the free advice you find on the internet isn't worth what you paid for it.

Ive some years in reloading, maybe 30 yrs. I've sufficient data from numerous bullet manufacturers to start on the low around. My 1903 just wearing a new barrel from early 40's and with a 24" length should stretch the sp eed some. Your correct about zero info for the aught six and the 174.
Id be a skeptic too in giving recipes so I just asked for suspected velocities. The bullet has seemingly a fan club and I wanted to see for myself what all the hoopla was about.
thanks anyways

Recent Posts