Load for 7mmWSM 140 grain

marks

Have just test run some 7mm WSM loads using sierra 140 grain projectiles and 69.3grains of ADI 2213sc powder. Groups 1/2 inch at 100 meters for my Browning BAR. No signs of any pressure issues also stumbled on a new way to hold rifle that keeps groups very tight.
You need to tie a piece of nylon cord onto the front sling clip ( 4-5 inches and approx 5mm thick (1/4 inch) where attaches to front of foreend. When you grab hold of rifle to shoot rap the string couple of times round your index finger till touches foreend wood then grab the stock at front end with thumb and rest of fingers as per normal. Rifle recoils directly backwards compared to moving left/ right - very noticeable difference but real improvement in grouping and actually feels more comfortable to shoot. I do not have a mussel brake on my gun.

Based on case inspections after 15 shots will now also look at 120grain projectiles and lod 69.3 +5% and see if get a similar result.

For the person using 6.5 mm WSM would think that similar load in your gun will perform well. Has good long range knock down power on bull Thar ( 200 odd pound animal with thick hide and tough nature - they absorb lead well if you use light weight calibres ie: 308/270 etc.)

Update on loads

The last two trips have used this load on Thar with excellent results from BAR. I brought a new limb saver pad which I have put on my BAR and have found it to be excellent as takes the real punch out of recoil. Gun real easy and pleasent to use groups very tight consistently - highly recommended kit for any big power cartridges even on the BAR.

Noted in reloading books that 300WSM loaded higher for similar weight projrctiles with IMR 4350 type powders. Case capacity on 7mmWSM slightly higher yet in ADI reloading book powder loads well down. Pressure sits around 63000 on 300WSM loads and below on 7WSM loads - assume this is because US shooters born and bred on 30 calibre??
Have just test run some 7mm WSM loads using sierra 140 grain projectiles and 69.3grains of ADI 2213sc powder. Groups 1/2 inch at 100 meters for my Browning BAR. No signs of any pressure issues also stumbled on a new way to hold rifle that keeps groups very tight.
You need to tie a piece of nylon cord onto the front sling clip ( 4-5 inches and approx 5mm thick (1/4 inch) where attaches to front of foreend. When you grab hold of rifle to shoot rap the string couple of times round your index finger till touches foreend wood then grab the stock at front end with thumb and rest of fingers as per normal. Rifle recoils directly backwards compared to moving left/ right - very noticeable difference but real improvement in grouping and actually feels more comfortable to shoot. I do not have a mussel brake on my gun.

Based on case inspections after 15 shots will now also look at 120grain projectiles and lod 69.3 +5% and see if get a similar result.

For the person using 6.5 mm WSM would think that similar load in your gun will perform well. Has good long range knock down power on bull Thar ( 200 odd pound animal with thick hide and tough nature - they absorb lead well if you use light weight calibres ie: 308/270 etc.)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.