Load for .338

elkfirst

As mentioned in my other post, I sold my 7mm Nag Rem and bought a Tikka M695 in a .338 Nag. I was using Speer Grand Slams in the 7mm, always had immense success, nothing ever walked away. When considering loads for my .338, should I stick with the Grand Slams??? I'd like to hear from you guys out there who load for the same gun. These Tikka's are shooters by the way ... as opposed to canes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've heard some not so good stories about the Barnes X bullets, in all fairness, I've also heard that you should use a lighter bullet that you would for a conventional bullet. I'm open to trying something new, but I don't mind staying with the old either.

Here we go again. I've had great luck with the Barnes X. The new 185 gr Triple Shock would be my choice. Every elk I've shot out to 500 yds. has tipped over with a large wound path and exit hole. You can tell the direction of the pass through by lookin at the trees knocked over! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My favorite rifle has been my Sako 338 Win Mag. I've shot 4 moose and one elk with it. My most accurate load is the 250 gr Sierra spitzer boatail with 69.5 gr. of IMR 4350 with a CCI 250 primer. The major limitation I put on this load is that I won't take a shoulder shot with it, from what I've seen I think this bullet is too fragile for that shot. My second most accurate bullet was the 210 gr Nosler partion.

I've had the action bedded and the barrel free floated. I can shoot a little less than MOA with it when I can concentrate.

I recently bought a 338/378 Weaterby Accumark and I have to wait one more month before I can start shooting it. I finsihed the acquisition course and am waiting for the paper work to catch up to me. So my 338 Sako will now have competition as to which is my favortie rifle. I've taken the elk and one moose at what I call long range with my 338, 500-600 yds. So I know it can be done and I plan on working to improve my long range shooting, as well as overall shooting, because here in BC it's a very effective way to hunt, shooting from one side of a valley to the other. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the replies you guys. I posted the same question on another board, trying to get as much feedback as possible. I saw a lot of suggestions for the lighter bullets, 210 gr partition. Here, there seems to be a preference for heavier 250 gr bullets. This reflects my feelings, after all why by a .338 if not for taking advantage of bullet energy at heavier weights. Swede, do you shoot a Tikka???

No i shot Sako Hunter. My sako is 20 years old and still going strong.I hunt everything with this caliber from deer to moose.You have to excuse me my english is not so good but i am trying. The hunting season is over now in sweden
I will recommend Normas loading manual that contain severel good loadings for 338 caliber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hej On swedish.
The next bullet that i will load is Norma Oryx a bonded bullit in caliber 338. They have not releast it on the market yet but it will be realest in the beginning of summer.
It will be very interesting to load and shoot to see if its to wet.
another bullit that will be very interesting to try is laupa naturalis its a pure copperbullit.One can not byu bullets today only complete ammo.Check laupas site www.laupa.com they also have a loading manual.
I am very curios what are yuo hunting now ??
Until next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Swede, with my .338 I hunt elk (wapiti) and moose. I use a Ruger Compact (only 5 1/4 lbs.) 7mm-08 for whitetail deer, mule deer and big horn sheep. I use a variety of 22's including a 22-250 to hunt what we call "gophers". I think Americans might call them prairied dogs. They are a little critter about the size of a rat. They dig holes and turn good pasture in absolute wasteland. The multiply like you have no idea. My neighbour is a rancher, he runs about 3000 head of cattle. He supplies my all the ammo I need, and we shoot together. Last year, we nailed about 1500 each. Shooting range varies from 5 meters out to 300 metres with the 22-250. They help keep you sharp and close to your guns.
Tell me about you, what do you hunt over in Sweden? PS another neighbour and good friend of mine is Swede, his last name is Errson. Him and Christina run a herd of 20 - 25 bison.

Whit my 338 i hunt moose and for roedeer i use both 6,5x55 swedish mauser and my 338. Moostly i hunt roe deer widh my dachshounds. I am also a member in a huntingclub where i hunt moose we are 18 members in the club and the hunting take place in the middle of sweden. We have licens to shoot 40 mooses from the start of oktober to december. Shootingrange from 10 to 100 meter mostly. The hunting starts in august for me and it ends in januari during that time i have about 60 to 70 huntingdays. Your neighbour can pehaps tell you how we hunt mooses in sweden, it can be done i severel ways both whith dogs or people.The dogs which hunt moose are higly specialized when they find the moose they start to bark then the hunter sneak cloose to the moose and shoot him.
I am 47 years old i have a wife and two childern 18 and 14 yers old. i work in a factory as a supervisor, we produces parts for the automotive industri. In my free time i load ammo and i practice my shooting and also learning yong people hunting.I have hunt for 30 years.
In my profile yuo can find my email adress
mvh
Conny

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.