Load Development and Seating Depth

6mmRemSniper

Hello everyone! I just picked up a new 6mm Remington 700 VLS and am starting to work a load for it. I have reloaded for my .223 for a couple years but am somewhat new to the process of developing a load for a brand new gun.

In general, is it best to find the guns sweet spot with powder/bullet/primer/etc. and THEN play with the bullet seating depth to fine tune the load? Or is the seating depth more of an ongoing thing that you should play with for each powder/bullet/etc. combination?

On a side note, I was able to find a pound of the non-existent Varget at my local Bass Pro Shops. I am using this as my main powder. Due to the difficulty in finding this powder, would you think it's a good idea to work up a load with a different powder?

Thanks guys,
Dan

Your last question first. No, working up a load using another powder if Varget is your preferred choice will do no good. You need to work up a load for EACH different powder. Hodgdons, IMR, and AA all make a 4350. While similar, they all have different burn rates and one CANNOT be substituted for the other. Working up loads in other powders can be beneficial in 2 ways. 1,You might find another powder works better in your rifle and 2, if varget is not available you can resort to the other powders you have loads for.

First question. I will start with a predetermined COAL and load rounds in .5gn increments. I then take the 2 most accurate and work with them adjusting both COAL, (.002 closer to lands) and charge weight, (.10gn increments, starting .30gr below initial charge), until I find the "one". Remember to always check for pressure sighns after each firing.

I may have misread your question. I thought at first you were asking if you could work up a load using a different powder then switch to varget using that data. After reading again you may have been asking if you should work up a load using another powder in addition to working one up with varget. If the latter was your question, absolutely try different powders. If nothing else its more range time gun)

I use varget in all my small cartridges if appropriate, I start and finish 0.010 off the lands and do not play with it. I always figure if I can't get a good load I will play with seating depth or switch powders but have never needed to. I do have one at .012 and one at .015 Both accidents that I ran with because they worked.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Metalhead, thanks for looking out for me but you did misunderstand my question. Sorry I wasn't super clear on that question but thanks for the response.

I saw Powder Valley got in some IMR powders over the weekend. I was just about to order some 4064 and before I could get to it (about 3 hours after I saw it was available) all the stuff was gone. Guess I have to act faster!

This past weekend I tried some of my loads and the best group was around 5/8". I'm pretty sure they could be a little better since my rest wasn't as solid as I would've liked. However, I was pleased with my first go round.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.