Like RL-17? Alliant's Magnum version coming out soon

AZShooter

I e-mailed Alliant yesterday and got an immediate answer. I wanted to know when nitrochemie's magnum version was coming out and what it would be named.

The answer: they are going to be offering 5 new powders. They will be called the Power Pro series. The first two entries will be out in the next few months.

One is called Pro 3000 MP for magnum pistols.

The second one is called Pro 4000 MR for magnum rifles.

---------------Graf and Sons has a listing for Pro 4000 MR

https://www.grafs.com/product/245404

It is not in stock yet but they are taking orders. Nice to be first for once.

-----------------It may be a bit late for this fall's hunting season. If it adds velocity like RL-17 it should be very interesting to see what it does with magnums.

Just to clarify. Nitrochemie is the company in Switzerland that makes RL-17, right? The new powders you are referring to are all made in the USA by the same company (can't think of their name) that makes Hodgdon's and Winchester ball powders and are located in FL I believe. Sort of sounded like you thought that the Switzerland company was the manufacturer of these new powders and that isn't so.

I beg to differ...I got an e-mail from Ben Amonette on Sept 1 that answered my question:

"I keep hearing that you will be offering two more powders made by Nitrochemie. I have used RL-17 and am very impressed with the results.

Can you tell me what you will call the magnum class rifle powder and when might we be able to buy it?"

Here is his answer:

RE: Inquiry from alliantpowder.com‏
Sent: Tue 9/01/09 6:20 AM
To: Ross ([email protected])

We have 5 new powders coming out. They will be our "Power Pro" series. We will introduce 2 initially, one called 300 MP for magnum pistol, and the other 4000 MR for magnum rifle. We hope to have these first entries out in the next couple of months. The other will likely be more toward the end of the year or perhaps early next year. Data for these powders will be available closer to release time. Thanks for your note and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette

Consumer Service Manager

Alliant Powder Company

-----------------------

There was a short article on 6mmBR.com's website under daily bulletin talking about a new arrangement with Nitrochemie (properly called Rheinmetall Nitrochemie) and Alliant (ATK) announce strategic partnership. In a nutshell RN will share their technology and RN and ATK will produce powders together in US facilities.

AccurateShooter.com Daily Bulletin

Scroll down about 6 article to read the details.

I will e-mail Mr. Amonette again to absolutely sure and report back here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.