Lightweight rifle shopping, choices???

Buzzsaw

I'm looking for a high quality, lightweight rifle. My first choice is a custom rifle by MG Arms near Houston, 6.5 Creedmoor. I will see them at the Dallas safari Club Convention. They are kinda expensive, will have to sell off a couple of my current rifles to help fund.

Then I started reading about the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6'5 Creedmoor. Its hard to find many range reports on this gun, but the couple I've seen , seems to be a decent shooter built with quality.

Today I discovered the cooper 92 backcountry. it is a super rifle but I think only comes in long action. I don't load any long action calibers except my 6.5 weatherby. don't really want a "new" cartridge to load for. I have 2, 6.5 creeds and love the round.

as for factory rifles, maybe a Remington titanium but I don't think they shoot good anymore.

thoughts??

If your Rem 700 TI is a SA, then you could build a .260 AI and have something different. Beats the 6.5 Creed in MV, ME, and ballistics. If it's a SA magnum, the 6.5 SS is something to look into. If it is a LA standard bolt face (.473"), then the 6.5 Sherman or .280 Sherman, or .280 AI is something worth looking into.f

If you utilize your 700 TI action with a Stocky's Composite stock and a fluted #4 Bartlein, then it won't cost you an arm and a leg, and you won't have to sell anything to build it.

looking for rifle, not caliber

no offense to Mr. Forbes. I'm sure his rifles are great shooters and light......but they are BUTT UGLY.

I do appreciate the replies

... they are BUTT UGLY. ...

Sometimes function over form comes out that way. I'm not fond of the color scheme on the rifle in the article but the rest is correct.

How "light" do you want to go?

All in, scope, ammo in the magazine, sling if you are a sling user, bipod if you are a bipod user:
Is 5lb light?
is 7lb light?
is 9lb light?

TI furnishings?
TI action?
Hollow carbon fiber+kevlar stock?
Fixed power low magnification scope?
#1 profile?
20"?
Fluting?
Carbon wrapped?

Are we talking off the shelf or custom?

The "best" off the shelf, "production" rifle IMO is a Tikka T3X Lite.

The "semi-production" like Cooper or Kimber, well, you get what you want.

Full custom, TI action, Carbon wrapped barrel, all TI furniture. Carbon+Kevlar unfilled stock.

What is your budget, above $2,000 or below?

Mono front pod, I haven't seen one but I think it has merit? I know a lady......

Sometimes function over form comes out that way. I'm not fond of the color scheme on the rifle in the article but the rest is correct.

How "light" do you want to go?

All in, scope, ammo in the magazine, sling if you are a sling user, bipod if you are a bipod user:
Is 5lb light?
is 7lb light?
is 9lb light?

TI furnishings?
TI action?
Hollow carbon fiber+kevlar stock?
Fixed power low magnification scope?
#1 profile?
20"?
Fluting?
Carbon wrapped?

Are we talking off the shelf or custom?

The "best" off the shelf, "production" rifle IMO is a Tikka T3X Lite.

The "semi-production" like Cooper or Kimber, well, you get what you want.

Full custom, TI action, Carbon wrapped barrel, all TI furniture. Carbon+Kevlar unfilled stock.

What is your budget, above $2,000 or below?

Mono front pod, I haven't seen one but I think it has merit? I know a lady......

7# scoped and loaded

Proof Research lightweight rifle is around $5,000 full custom
MG Arms, $3800+, full custom but with a skeletonized, trued 700 action.
Cooper Backcountry, only comes in long action. I want another 6.5 Creedmoor, really don't want to have to load for another cartridge , would go 6.5x284 or .280 is needed.
Not a tikka fan but will look at the Sako 85 carbon light, not great looking but it's a SAKO.
Kimber Mountain Ascent seems like a solid gun. I can get it in 6.5 Creedmoor

so I guess my budget is $2,000+\\optics, I may take the swaro 5-25 off another gun, its fairly light for a high mag scope. or go with something smaller. I prefer high magnification.

I've never handled a Kimber.

Controlled round feed? M70 safety! Loved those features in my pre 64 M70. Love the Ruger Mark II target pistol that I traded it for more....

With your Swarofski 24oz? room to spare on the weight end.

Kimber MT or Mountain Ascent. Just picked up a Kimber MT in .280 AI and am really impressed with everything so far. Still some load work to do, but all signs point to me being a happy camper. My bare rifle was 5lb 9oz, and with my Vortex Razor LH, and 3 shells, it weights 6lbs, 10oz.

actually, its only 17.5oz and yes that would be a sweet combo. Another member here has one in 6.5 Creed and it seems to shoot MOA

the cooper m92 back country rifle does come in a 6.5 creedmoor. a couple members on rockside forum has them. the first big game animal killed with the model 92 back country was with a 6.5 creedmoor. I have a m92 in 7mm rem mag and really like it.

Buzzsaw,

You have a couple more choices. The Weatherby Mark V six lug is about 5.7 pounds and the Savage Lightweight Hunter is 5.6 pounds. The Mark V is based on the medium length action; like .30-06 or .270 etc. The Savage Lightweight Hunter is a short action. The Mark V has a 24" barrel the Savage has a 20" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.