Lightweight Bolt Action?

Which one? What will the rest of the rifle be?
Rifle is going to be:

Defiance Machine Anti-X long action
XLR Element 3.0 magnesium long action chassis (folding)
Bartlein #4 Carbon Fiber barrel 1 in 8 twist 26 inches
Triggertech special
March Optics 1.5-15x42
Patriot Valley Arms Ultralight Jetblast brake

If I am lucky they gun will be all put together in 7 months or so. Realistically, its probably a year out.

Last edited:
To me, the standard AnTi is attractive given the price point. $100/oz to get to the Peirce is steep as far as $/oz go. There are other areas that have a lower $/oz investment than a receiver. If the price range is $1500, then I think its down to personal preference.

Ok that makes sense. Always curios as when I built mine it was about getting it as light as possible. So I wasted money in other spots that was way less return than the action. If trying to just cut some weight I'd go your route also

To me, the standard AnTi is attractive given the price point. $100/oz to get to the Peirce is steep as far as $/oz go. There are other areas that have a lower $/oz investment than a receiver. If the price range is $1500, then I think its down to personal preference.
Also you don't have to deal with the issues that come with a ti action
Been there done that... Nope won't own one again

Also you don't have to deal with the issues that come with a ti action
Been there done that... Nope won't own one again
What issues did you have? The issues with Ti has been fixed with the latest Pierce actions. Don't judge them all the same. That would be like judging all steel actions on a Savage.

What issues did you have? The issues with Ti has been fixed with the latest Pierce actions. Don't judge them all the same. That would be like judging all steel actions on a Savage.
I've never used a pierce ti action so this is not targeted at them.
The problem with ti in general is that it's not as strong as steel, and stretches 3x more.
I experienced bolt lift issues with a ti action at or below book loads, and never got any consistency with multiple barrels.
It drove me nuts
I spoke with a few highly renowned builders (Rbros being one of them), and the issues I had were pretty common.
They won't touch a ti action and now I won't either

First off as someone who has worked with titanium making parts. It depends on what you start with. It's like steel cheap steel is weak and sucks. Many different levels. I push my rifles hard and have no such issues. Again not all are the same. I can tell you both my piece is new are the best shooters I have. So it's not the action.

I've been really happy with my Ti action (Mesa Precision Summit). Obviously light, runs great, very accurate. I'm taking possession of an anTi X here soon, so it will be interesting to compare the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.