Lightning 32dba Headset

JSweet

FWIW:

Just picked up a set of Lightning 32dba hearing protectors.

They have my old set of Silencio 71's beat 6 ways to Sunday.

Lighter, more comfortable head band,and they knock the blast form the 300 Rum down to a low volume pop.

No need to double pulg with the Lightnings, where I had to with the older set of Silencios.

A little more pricey but worth the extra few bucks.IMHO.

Burn lotsa powder!!!

In case you didn't see them, Howard Leight also makes a 33dB earplug. I use both the Leightning earmuffs and earplugs when shooting the big monsters with muzzle brakes.

Makes the whole experience much more comfortable. Probably increases accuracy too by reducing flinching (we don't do that do we).

I love this sport and want to keep my hearing too.

Remember that 3dB is doubling the noise level. Most "good" earmuffs are rated at 29dB. The leightning rated at 31dB reduces our exposure to noise by about 50%. Good stuff.

Jerry

I use Leightenings at work and true they are very good but I find the Peltor Tac7 that I use for shooting is much better. I believe that some companies overstate what their products can do!!! I have tried some of the better rated ear plugs also. I find that the earplugs touch your brain when you get into the 33db range of reduction. We had some plugs that were very soft and weren't that long with a high rating and were a pleasure to wear. I will try to find the brand name and report it. I find that a set of 33db earmuffs seem to reduce more noise than 33db earplugs. I can't understand how they get the same rating for both. Probably some creative math!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.