Howa 1500 Lightning and Sightron scope

nwcook

Took my new Howa 1500 in .223 and w/Millet mounts, and Sightron 4x16 42mm w/Mildot reticle to range to test. Before I took it to the range I used a method posted here to break in the barrel first. Used JB for 50 strokes, then followed up w/Shooter's Choice MC#7. Tested it at the range with a variety of ammo to see what shot the best while sighting in. Used 5 shot groups each time. Started at 50 then 100 then 200. Right out of the box w/bore sighting the gun shot .2 grps at 50 and .4 at a 100. I messed up the adjustments while zeroing for 200 and was only getting 1.4 inch groups. Best ammo was Hornady Varmint Express and Remington Varmint Express. Bullets above 55 gr didn't do as well (probably due to 1/12 twist). Needless to say that after 25 rounds at 225 I decided to test the mil dot for ranging at the 560 target. First target I shot at I guessed at the size and took third bullet to hit. Asked range officer about size of another round orange target and he gave me the diameter. Hit it the first time! Needless to same I'm pleased w/both gun and scope.
Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.