Light 7mm bullets for Coyote?

In my 280 rem the 120 gr v max or nosler bt. I have killed alot of deer with them. They work great on coyotes too. I just bought a 280AI. I will be working up a coyote load for it. I want to get use to the gun before deer season. I am going to top it with a Leupold.
VX 3 4.5x14x40 CDS or VX 5 3x15x44 CDS.
Hornady 120 gr hp would be a good one to.
No big exit hole???

I have been experimenting with 139 grain hornady sst in 7mm. Been loading them to about 308 velocities-- which is pretty mild in both recoil and for that bullet. Its a thin jacketed bullet--- so it might be in the goldilox zone when slowed down some- I think I am using 60 or 61 grains of H1000. A faster powder might be just as good or better though. Like 4895 or rl-15 . Just that I had no other use for h1000. It may be a bit dirty in that lower pressure configuration. Had very good results with rl-15 and 4895
in 308 at about 2600-2700 fps.

ps--- my understanding from the hornady videos-- is that the v-max is an all-out varmint grenade type expansion.
and that the sST is a deer type application-- but on the thinner jack end of that--- so it opens faster than a controled expansion deer bullet but not just within 2 inches like the v-max. Sounds like the SST would be just right for smaller deer and big varmints. V-mag maybe good for all varmints if you are not wanting to save the skins.

The 139 gr SST was primarily intended as a reduced recoil load out of a light 7mm mag bolt gun. The full blast loads were doing some "scope-eye" ..... ( I have since moved the scope forward about an inch using a new base)

Have not got to shoot a coyote or deer with it yet.
Proof is in the pudding !

Last edited:
Getting to be the time of year when the pelts are worthless, so I would say try some different loads and don't worry about the result. Learn from it for the fall and winter when the coats are full. This time of year I leave them where they fall. Too many ticks and fleas on them now.