Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 Opinions??

Dont you mean "in the field, thats a different story"? Sometimes I find I have no time to range, or dial for that matter. Some animals aren't to stupid and dont stand around forever, especially when there under 300 yards or so. Also coyotes usually dont stand around to long to range, let along "dial up".

I had a Leupy VXIII 8.5-25X50 W/Varmint reticle and the reticle was the part I didn't like the reticle. I wanted a holdover type reticle but it was too far off to be usable for either my .308 OR .243!! I spoke to the people at Leupold and they could exchange it with something more to my liking but they didn't make another holdover besides the TMR but it's in mlir's and the turrets are moa's????

I decided to pony up for the NXS with NP-R2 reticle in 8-32X56. It's truly a work of art with sealed externally adj wind/elev and focus knobs that are large and textured for real world app's. But better yet....the NP-R2 reticle. Being in MOA you don't have to fart around between milr's and moa conversions to make you adjustments. I would like to see a 2.5 moa tic on the horizontal line between the 5's. I know NF now has a NP-R2 variant with 1 moa on the vert and 2 moa on the horiz but, that's a little congested for most of my hunting....varmints, you bet.

However, NF has a noticeably lesser quality of glass. The Leupold glass is slightly crisper and cleaner but head and shoulders above the NF when it comes to true warmth and color. Until your at the range or in the field you don't appreciate this. Your looking through your Swaro's or similar glass (spotter or bino) and you pick up your rifle and look through the NF and wonder who pulled the color plug!!! It's that noticeable, to me anyway.

If you can, compare them side by side and make your own decision. Good luck.

Poster: gafferq2xl
Subject: Re: Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 Opinions??

[ QUOTE ]
However, NF has a noticeably lesser quality of glass. The Leupold glass is slightly crisper and cleaner but head and shoulders above the NF when it comes to true warmth and color. Until your at the range or in the field you don't appreciate this. Your looking through your Swaro's or similar glass (spotter or bino) and you pick up your rifle and look through the NF and wonder who pulled the color plug!!! It's that noticeable, to me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree, the Leupold Glass appears better than the NF.

Frank D

As much as a leup fan that I am I would have to go the other way here. I have compared both of them side by side and I think the superior glass belongs to NF. I see better color rendition, sharper image, and better light transmission in the NF.

just my opinion
steve

I just bought a 8.5-25x50 LRT with the Varmint reticle. With my 300 Wby the marks are very close. Next time out I'm taking a tape measure and recording the inches of drop on the other lines and will record the actual dead on distances for each line. I will keep the dead center zeroed at 200 or 300 yards and this will give me instant holds out to almost 600 yards. You could have done the same for your 308 or 243. If you wanted the lines to be on for specific yardages you can vary the center zero yardage and change the power setting and that will change the distance between the lines and you could get it very close for either of those guns.

I agree about the color. My first Night Force exposure was a 5-22x50 NXS and the glass was a real let down. It was even a little fuzzy and distorted around the edges on 22 power. It was on an HS Precision tacticle rifle and we had it sitting on a bipod on a bench at the gun club where I sat and looked around with it for a long time. I shot several groups through the rifle while he logged every shot. He is our local SWAT firearms instructor and the lead sniper. We even tried out all his trick Law enforcement only filters to see what differences they made. He even has an adjustable one the will penetrate the glare on car windows. None of his fiters made it as good as the Leupolds I was using for color. All my Leupolds are very good edge to edge. I did like the giant knobs but they are funtionally not any different than the Leupolds. I like being able to put covers over the knobs while regular hunting so the adjustments can't get changed while handling the rifle. The Leupolds are also sealed when the caps are off.

I have a VX-III 8.5-25x50mm LRT w/Varmint Hunters Reticle.

It's an awesome Scope for the $$$$ Got mine for $799 Shipped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have no experience with NF

my wife bought me a 3.5-10x40 vxiii about 2 years ago. i took it to the range a week and a half before antelope season opened (I know, procrastinating is bad) and it turns out the scope was a dud. I put my old nikon back on and shipped the Leupy back that afternoon with a note saying how much i'd love to be able to use that new scope for goat season in about a week (this was thursday i think). Tuesday I received a package in the mail. Leupold had repaired my scope ALREADY.
I'm going to sell my pentax lightseeker 8-32x50 and buy another vxiii. With customer service like that i'm SOLD!!!

I'll probably never buy anything buy a Leupold ever again

by the way Waffen what are you doing with your old Leupold?

I'm mounting it on a 30-06. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I LOVE my 6.5-20x40 VariX-III. It's a GREAT scope!

An old thread about older models but does anyone still have one of these they are still using.

Looking at an affordable benchrest rifle that has a Leupold 8.5-25x50 fitted.