Leupold VX-6 or Nightforce NXS ?

10 Ringer

Looking to get a scope to put on a future rifle build. Gun will be used no further than 400yds on deer, and maybe some close range on elk. Here in Ga the bucks normally don't come out till right at dark, so quality of glass and light transfer is considered, as well as weight considering this will be a do-it-all woods carry/beanfield gun. Looking at the Leupold VX-6 in 3-18x50 ($1200/ 20oz) and the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 ($1800/32oz). What would y'all think would best suit my needs?

I have VX6 and NF and for your purposes I would go with the VX6. If you decide to go with the NF, I would go with the 5.5 X 22 since it is the same weight as the other.

I have a VX-6 3-18x50 and an older NXS 3-15x56.

In lowlight, the VX-6 is a good bit better to my eyes.

While I like the NXS better for range work, the VX-6 gets the nod in the woods.

If you will be hunting inside 400 yards (deer) and maybe some close encounters with Elk in dark timber, I would suggest the 2-12 VX6.......no need for the a 15 power scope at those ranges, plus the 2 power is better suited for close encounters.

And BTW, the best price for the VX-6 is at Natchez Shooting Supply.....all VX-6's are on sale from $799 - $999, plus there is an additional 10% sale going on. For that price, there is little competition!

10 Ringer,

I would recommend a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 in a heartbeat. All three of mine have crystal clear glass throughout their magnification range. They are about 2 ounces lighter than the Leupold VX-6. Take a gander at the following.

Today two scopes arrived at my house: A Nightforce Varminter 5.5-22X56 from one of our .com friends and a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. The Bushnell weighs 22.6 ounces and the Nightforce weighs 39.0 ounces. I placed them on sandbags to compare at 127 yards on the military optics chart (see photo below). After adjusting the reticles to their sharpest for my eye the Nightforce was set on 22X and the Bushnell was set on 20X. I adjusted the Nightforce for the sharpest detail on the chart and could barely make out "5" in the third smallest group. Then I did the same with the Bushnell on 20X and slowly turned up the magnification until I could barely make out the same thing. If it was off 22X it was on the low side.

Thinking I might be prejudice I asked my son-in-law to check them, also. I suggested he adjust them all he wanted. After several minutes he stepped back and said, "I think that one might be a little sharper," indicating the Bushnell.

Now I have to wait for sunset to see how long they last. I am convince the Nightforce will smoke the Bushnell; which is no slouch. When I compared my other Bushnell with my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and my Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 they all went down at the same time.

The lines and spaces at #4 on the third size down on my optics chart are 11/32" on my tape measure and #5 is 5/16".

f3fff108-011f-46e9-bc2b-1c9e734b4e3e_zpsxqiflpyd.jpg

The VX-6 would be my recommendation. I have both a 3-18 Leupold and a 5.5-22 Nightforce, and I prefer the Leupold for hunting. It is lighter and has better glass. With the NF you're paying for a heavy duty scope that will withstand dialing your turrets day in and day out. Like benchrest shooters do. For a hunting scope where the turrets only see moderate use I would rather be carrying, and looking through, a Leupold.

I have the VX-6 3-18x50 with the windplex firedot reticle. If your deer really come out at dark, I would HIGHLY recommend the firedot. I've been in that place before, where it's light enough to shoot but dark enough to obscure a black reticle. I love my firedot because it can be set very low and gives an instant aiming point in very low light. The glass is comparable to the swaro Z5 it replaced. You should be able to find the 50mm with firedot on sale for less than a grand, they just came out with the VX-6HD, so the "old" models are selling pretty cheap.

Although I appreciate the durability and overall features of the NXS, there are some things that drive me absolutely nuts. One, I can never expect to be parallax free when the target is in focus. I find myself constantly checking my parallax with my NXS because I can't use focus to shortcut the parallax adjustment. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what was going on with wandering zeros and irregular group sizes until I noticed that with the NXS, focused picture does not equal parallax free.

I've been spoiled too long with scopes that are parallax free when the target is in focus.

The next thing is the magnification adjustment. I don't like that the whole ocular end of the scope turns, not just a magnification ring. I have never gotten used to the flip switch being in a different location every time I adjust the magnification.

I won't own another NXS. In fact, I'll probably offload my last remaining NXS and replace it with a Vortex AMG. I also have a Leupold VX6HD on order for another rifle, so I guess we'll see how it tests out, too.

Looking to get a scope to put on a future rifle build. Gun will be used no further than 400yds on deer, and maybe some close range on elk. Here in Ga the bucks normally don't come out till right at dark, so quality of glass and light transfer is considered, as well as weight considering this will be a do-it-all woods carry/beanfield gun. Looking at the Leupold VX-6 in 3-18x50 ($1200/ 20oz) and the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 ($1800/32oz). What would y'all think would best suit my needs?

Hard to beat Leupolds on weight, and you won't really NEED the best optic quality to kill deer and elk at mid-range distances.

I became an Athlon Optics dealer after comparing their Argos BTR scopes to my Leupold 4.5-14x 50mm mk4 and the 2 Vortex Viper PST scopes I owned. These are sub $400 FFP illum reticle tactical scopes. They were as good or better optically, and had great features. Maybe the exterior finish wasn't up to the $1000 scope standards, but it was good enough...

I have the top 3 scopes available to date from Athlon. None are lightweights, but the Cronus BTR 4.5-29x is comparable to the best tactical S&B, Kahles, NF, Razor II scopes costing 2x its $1800 price. The Helos 8-34x is excellent at its higher-range magnifcation levels, still a field scope, not a high-mag benchrester. The Midas 4.5-27x also has the HD Optics and advanced coatings of the Helos. The Midas & Helos sell under $600... Kind of heavy at 28-30oz...

In another week or so, Athlon will be shipping their new 2.5-15x 50mm Ares scopes which are made from Light Optical Works lenses and internal components. LOW makes & assembles the Cronus BTR 100% in their Japan facility. The Ares, like other lower cost Athlon products, will be assembled in China. By mid-July the 4.5-27x Ares should be arriving.

Great optical quality and value. Lifetime Transferable Warranty. These are worth your evaluation and comparison... catalog is at: <www.athlonoptics.com:> lots of specs and reticle evaluation detail.

The Helos scopes with locking turrets, raise-up to unlock and dial w&e or elevation, are great in the field. Waterproof, Argon gas filled and they come with BC style flip-up lens protection. A bit heavy, but superb value and quality packed with features and made to be durable. Under $600...

I owned a couple NF NXS scopes over the past 10yrs and sold my 8-32x NXS six mos after buying it. The optics weren't that great and it was heavy. Heavy with great optical resolution, contrast, and color rendition is okay...

The Ares scopes promise to be very exciting. Maybe worth the wait?

I have Both and for hunting vx6 firedot would be an easy choice for me .love my nightforce but the vx6 is better in low light and the firedot can't be beat for low light precision imho .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.