leupold vx-1 lr duplex calculations

spdcrazy

hello all,

My backup rifle this elk season is my .375 h&h with a 2x7x33 Leupold vx-1 with the LR duplex reticle.

I was trying to learn how to use the bullet comp marks on it, but Leupold's paperwork doesn't have the info for a 375. the drop is a great deal more than the largest caliber they have on their caliber list.

I have my ballistics of my ammo. and I have a drop chart built for it, but i'm wondering if I can learn what each mark means for drop. I did find some info that I think is helpful if I can convert my drop chart to moa and knew what moa each mark is. but the problem is the online chart shows a "MOA @ high x" and a list for "MOA @ low X"

I don't know what this means. I do know that the comp marks they have is for the magnification to be max. so are the two lists MOA @ high and low X mean how much the MOA is at 2 power (low) and 7 power (high)?

is there an easier way to calculate this?

Federal Premium Ammunition -

if I am correct. using their list of "MOA @ high X" being at 7x. the hash marks should be

zero at 200
first line 291
sec line 346
third line 424

I think this works as the smaller/fast calibers use the zero at 200. and the next line is 300, then 400, then 500. and the 300gr 375 drops a lot harder than the 338 or similar.

does this sound about right?

Yeah, it means turned up to high magnification, and turned down to low.

You can use these marks however you like. You don't have to zero at 200 yards. As long as you know how many MOA those mark are, you can calculate what range each of those marks will be. You might want to consider zero at 150 yards, or 100 given the ballistics of the 375 H&H.

good luck.

Yeah, it means turned up to high magnification, and turned down to low.

You can use these marks however you like. You don't have to zero at 200 yards. As long as you know how many MOA those mark are, you can calculate what range each of those marks will be. You might want to consider zero at 150 yards, or 100 given the ballistics of the 375 H&H.

good luck.

I originally was going to zero it at 100 for this very reason, but until I start shooting more often (problems of city life) I wanted to keep both zeroed the same. makes for easier time hunting. I have the drop charts taped to my rifles. I build these little reticle cheat sheets based on the high power mag that i'll add to the rifle as well. see how this works this year.

Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.