Leupold VX- III 4.5x14 mm LR ?

Quaddrager

I was wondering if these scopes would be capable for setting up for long range. I know I can send these to leupold for setup, but not sure if they would be good enough. Thanks Keith

You oughtta' send it to Darrell Holland and see if he'll install one of his reticles in it Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply If you also get the target turret install i think you'll net some serious elevation with it as i think that optic is rated at ~100 MOA travel. I actually have one set up like that but don't have it on anything yet. Ernie Bishop used it for the WTRC comp this year teamed with Darrell, and they placed very well even with Ernie using it on a big 7mm specialty pistol.

Ill throw in my two cents...... "Good enough" for what.... I think will be the big determining factor here. I shoot this same scope with the target turrets. My max for hunting though is only 1000 yards and 14 power will get you there easy. Will I take a 1000 yard poke at an animal ....no... my skill and confidence is not there yet........however in all my testing thus far return to zero has been spot on. Pretty sure this is the platform John Burns has all is scopes made on at greybull precision. Have shot mine out to 1175 and was shootin Half moa or so. So yes this scope will work but what are your goals........ Just my opinion others are likley to vary:D

Ill throw in my two cents...... "Good enough" for what.... I think will be the big determining factor here. I shoot this same scope with the target turrets. My max for hunting though is only 1000 yards and 14 power will get you there easy. Will I take a 1000 yard poke at an animal ....no... my skill and confidence is not there yet........however in all my testing thus far return to zero has been spot on. Pretty sure this is the platform John Burns has all is scopes made on at greybull precision. Have shot mine out to 1175 and was shootin Half moa or so. So yes this scope will work but what are your goals........ Just my opinion others are likley to vary:D

I'll be using them for hunting. I figure if I can reach out to700 or 800 yrds that would be great for me LOL. Guess I should call leupold & see what they have to offer. Thanks

You'll be fine, as stated before this is the basis of the Greybull Precision riflescope & it was at one point in time, the base for BOTW when John worked there as well. You will need target knobs for sure & I really like the previous statement about sending it to Holland for an ART reticle upgrade.... I'm considering that myself on a 6.5-20.

t

You'll be fine, as stated before this is the basis of the Greybull Precision riflescope & it was at one point in time, the base for BOTW when John worked there as well. You will need target knobs for sure & I really like the previous statement about sending it to Holland for an ART reticle upgrade.... I'm considering that myself on a 6.5-20.

t

Im new to all this so im just going to ask, what is a ART reticle. All I have is just the standerd 4 plex med. rectical.

Quad, take a look at my post earlier--there's alink there to Darrell's business. You can read all about it. He has a school for LR shooting and is as versed on the concepts as any you'll ever meet.

That is the scope I have on my 300RUM. I am very happy with it. Lots of light and very clear with good eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts