Leupold Scope

Daddy Justin

Team,

I could use a little input on what scope to buy. I have Weatherby Mark V in 30-06. I will be hunting deer at a maximum range of 400 yards and most of the time at under 200. I want a VX3 with a Boone and Crockett reticle. My only question is the power. There is a 3.5-10x40 power, which I have on a .243 and is a great scope. However, for $30 more, I can get a 4.5-14x40. Would there be any trouble with paralax that I would notice or any other problems that I might encounter. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the info.

Justin

I've got one vx-III 3.5x10 & four vx-III 4.5-14 - but all mine have the bigger 30mm tube and 50mm Objective. You can get really good deals on slightly used ones on eBay - or get them new from arcadia - see my scope page
ricka's scope page

I think the 50mm is worth the extra bucks for those dusk shots. I also like the 14 power for longer shots.
But then again once you start playing for a few more dollars - you end up wanting a NightForce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

daddy justin,there is a 3.5x10x40 iii for sale on page 2 in the for sale section buy,sell trade fyi...i have both scopes and like my 14 better in the open fields but in the woods the ao on the 14x is another item to play with just some thought.

With the 4.5X14 you start losing your field of view. For an 06' I'd stick with a 3.5X10 or 2.5X8 if you hunt in timbered areas.

Pat S.

Justin,

Do your self a favor and for less money move up to an IOR scope. IOR scopes use Zeiss glass and are head and shoulders above even the best Leupolds and most times cost less.

I've switched over to the IOR lines and I'll never own another Leuy scope. Just as rugged, much better light transmission and some of the best glass in the business.

Shoot me an email and I'll get you in touch with Jim Maloney at Q-Optics. He's got the best prices on the IOR line I've seen.

Best of luck which ever way you go.

[ QUOTE ]
...good rule of thumb...anything above 10 power benefits from adjustable objective lens...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to contradict you, Larry.

While this statement may be true, an AO on a "hunting scope" is a waste of money, weight, and time. I wouldnt have one. YMMV..Respectfully..sakofan..

...Sakofan...I agree with you... I prefer a NON "AO" for big game... was just saying, "IF YOU DECIDE TO USE 14 POWER"... you might be better off with adjustable objective...BUT BETTER OFF STAYING AT A LITTLE LOWER POWER WITHOUT AO...happy holidays to ya!

I have a Leupold 4.5x14,50mm, Matt, Duplex, B&C, that I can not use. This scope is NIB. I just looked thru it and it's not in focus for me at 300 yds.I have had several people look thru it and it's ok for them, but I have to have a scope with an AO in order to see things very clear past 300yds.

If interested: [email protected]
-------------
Zod

[ QUOTE ]
...Sakofan...I agree with you... I prefer a NON "AO" for big game... was just saying, "IF YOU DECIDE TO USE 14 POWER"... you might be better off with adjustable objective...BUT BETTER OFF STAYING AT A LITTLE LOWER POWER WITHOUT AO...happy holidays to ya!

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy holidays to you, Sir.

I guess it's all about where you hunt. Here in the Carolinas, the ideal scope is a 3-9 or a red dot of some sort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I rarely have the luxury of twisting a AO when I see a deer.
Most all of my shots are less than 100 yards, through briar patches, cedar stands, etc.
I might be better served using a "sonar" scope where I hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ...sakofan....All that said. I wouldnt have a varmint/BR/tactical scope WITHOUT an AO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

less money move up to an IOR scope. IOR scopes use Zeiss glass and are head and shoulders above even the best

[/ QUOTE ]

Ut Don, the scope expert listed on ricka's web page

says if you can't afford NightForce, go with IOR. I think you're right, they are the best scope for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.