Leupold RX-1000 TBR and B&C Scope

Nvhunter

Leupold RX-1000TBR rangefinder. & 4.5X14X40MM VX-III Leupold Boone and Crockett scope

I was interested in real field tests using the Leupold rangefinder in conjunction with the Leupold scope... As intended by Leupold. A lot of research found only desk use opinions, but sadly, no real hands on field test reports. You can read the desk jockey reports all over the net, and I agree, its a good rangefinder...But how well does it work WITH the scope...

Pretty well so far.

This is my first rangefinder. Setup is: 7mmSTW, 4.5X14X40MM VX-III Leupold Boone and Crockett scope. 140 Nosler Accubond silvertips, Reloader 25 - 77 Grains, Approx 3200FPS. 300 yard zero

So far

Using the suggested data in the B&C riflescope and rangefinder. The range finder is spot on when adjusting from 300 yds to 200 yds. It said Hold under 4 " and BAM! bullseye.

Ran out of sunlight. So, more testing tomorrow. I'll be testing 100 yds, 200 yds, zeroed at 300 yds and 400 - 500 yards If I have enough daylight.

If I have time this weekend I will also work in some hill angles and see if it does as well.

Nothing can beat real range time to get accurate data, but this combination is spot on so far.

Report #2: Leupold RX-1000 TBR and B&C Scope

Field report #2.

Here are the numbers.

300 yard zero.

At 200 yard range. RX-1000 TBR states hold low 4". Actual shot was 3 inches high. error of 1" - not bad.

At 100 yard range RX-1000 TBR states hold low 3 ". Actual shot was 2.5" high. error of 0.5" - pretty close.

Now I can estimate inches high or low up to my zero at 300 yards, so I choose the Hold over mode for those two ranges. Further than 300 yds is different. I can't estimate inches accurately at those distances.

Onto 400 yards, no angle. RX-1000 TBR states hold 9 inches high. Aiming at the bullseye, actual shot was 8 inches low...That's really good. error of 1 inch.

Change the RX-1000 TBR to MOA mode. It says adjust UP two (2) MOA. There was a bit of confusion here...2 MOA for 400 yards or 2 full MOA on the scope... Well, it is 2 MOA (8 clicks) on the scope.

Amazing, Made the adjustment and the group was 2" high of the bulls eye at 400 yards. error 2"

Anyway you put it. All those shots would have been meat on the dinner table. Those errors are not close enough to miss the kill zone on a Mule deer.

Some things to take into consideration. I have not verified my FPS with a Chronograph. Leupold was using Speer ballistics program as I have read, specific bullet and specific FPS.

I am using Nosler Bullets. I am at a different altitude and climate than the Leupold and Speer engineers were when creating the suggested range adjustments. So, the errors are most likely due to my differences in choice of load and environment.

More field exercises tomorrow. Most likely do MOA mode for 100, 200, 400, and 500 yards. If I have time I'll start on the uphill and downhill shots and see how accurate the RX-1000 TBR can estimate those shots.gun)

Field Report #3 Leupold RX-1000 TBR and B&C Scope

Field report #3. Worked with the combination of scope and rangefinder this evening. Basically verifying yardages that I had placed yesterday.

This evening I only used the MOA function on the RX-1000 TBR . Spot on. 100 yds, 200 yards, 300 yards zero and 400 yards. Just dialed in the suggested MOA that the rangefinder gave and BAM! on target within 1 inch each time.

Tomorrow morning, trying a 500 yard shot and up hill / down hill.

Final Report: Leupold RX-1000 TBR and B&C Scope

Final field report.

Took it out to 500 yards this morning. RX-1000 rangefinder suggested 5 MOA up...gun)Spot on! 1 inch group on the bullseye at 500 yards, no wind, no angle.

So, I took what little time I had left this am and set up a hunting scenario. Target placed at bottom of canyon. I hiked back around a hill and up about 150 feet to the crest of the hill. Setup at two different distances 174 yards and 278 yards, at a 14 degree angle, slightly to one side of the target. Did not have the opportunity for an up hill shot. Perhaps after deer season.

Set up in a high prone position across the rocky hilltop. Ranged, Leupold RX-1000 TBR suggested 1 MOA down on both positions and distances. BAM! all shots were within a 4 inch group from either position.

What? Not a 1 inch group??? Well, all previous shots were flat, standard ranges, no - or little wind, with a bi pod and rear bag. Those were firing range shots. This was on a rocky hilltop, prone position and as uncomfortable as I normally experience in the mountains. This scenario is much like most every shot I have seen here in the mountains of Nevada. Anyway you look at it. That's dinner on the table.

It does what it is supposed to do, provide accurate range and shooting data providing the following.

I had to read the instruction manual for both the scope and rangefinder. Instructions were easy to understand and follow. But, I do not think I would have this accuracy without reading the instructions first.

If you select MOA mode. You have to ensure your scope is Minutes of angle adjustment, not Inches adjustment. Hold and BAS are easy to use and are other options on this model. I think it would work well with any other brand of scope. It is not designed to be used exclusively with Leupold only. MOA is MOA and Hold is Hold.

I think a different weight bullet or different FPS (Bullet speed) may not be as accurate as the specific caliber, bullet and FPS listed in the manual. There is a mini-USB port for future "Leupold exclusive updates". I hope that Leupold designs an update that allows me to place My Ballistics for my specific rifle and bullet into the rangefinder....That would be really cool.

Ranging the truck at 500 - 600 yards took a few actuations, could have been the dust on the trail...don't know. Battery still shows full. Dimmed the display and it ranged with fewer attempts. I would only take a deer at that distance If I felt REALLY good about the shot anyway, so that's not a deal breaker.

No scope caps, lots of dust out here. Got to find a way to protect those clear and bright optics.

Magnetic flap on the case could be bumped open and I could drop the rangefinder on the trail. The lanyard is long enough to tie to the backpack to avoid that.

Final summary. I set out to see if I could trust the combination of this Leupold Rangefinder with my Leupold scope. Yes, I am confident that this rangefinder is worth its price. I am also confident that I can trust its range and shooting data most anywhere within my comfortable distance for taking game.

Hope this field review is helpful to someone out there. Off to pack for Early Mule deer season in Area 16, Nevada. If you see me in Table Mountain wilderness, don't be a stranger. Drop by camp for a cup of coffee. I'll be a 9000 feet or wherever the deer are.

Happy Hunting. NV Hunter.:cool:

One quick question since I just bought the tbr1000 and the instructions do not answer my question.
In Hold, MOA, and Inches mode you get line of sight with corrections built in by choosing off of the chart and setting that letter in.
What I want is angel corrected shooting distance, nothing more or less. In BAS mode you still have to choose off of the chart. Now, in BAS mode will the angle distance have gun caliber correction or will it give me just corrected angle distance??
Thanks

RTK,

From what I recall - BAS mode provides corrected shooting distance for the caliber group that you have selected. It should also provide actual angle of target. I will re-read the manual and make sure that my memory is correct on that matter. But, that Is what I recall.

I am working with my continued field trials. Work has kept me off the range and out of the field for about 2 years now. BUT! I drew a Mule deer tag for area 16 in Nevada. WhoHoo!:D So, I am spending time in the field with the same combo. Leupold scope and Rx-1000 TBR. I hope you enjoy your purchase. I have found mine to be accurate for both 30.06 and 7mm STW.

Happy Shooting

Thanks for the reply Nvhunter, I called Leupold and you are correct. It give corrective data for cartridge chosen. I was kinda looking for yardage correction only without cartridge factoring. Oh well, I guess I can always use the indicated angle with line of sight, and do a little math in my head, on second thought maybe I will bring a calculator too:)
Good luck on a big one

Obtaining angle on Leupold RX-1000 TBR. There are two similar rangefinders that Leupold offers. RX-1000 and RX-1000 TBR.

RX-1000 TBR provides an angle reading in degrees at the bottom right hand sector of the display. The RX-1000 does not display angle. Keep this in mind if you are considering purchase.

I am back on the range again. I have a new load near completion. 7mm STW, 160 grain Nosler Partitions at 2980 FPS. I will be firing up the testing again soon. I hope to have more useful data to present once these darn winds decrease.

One thing I have noticed. 15 kt wind with higher gusts, full value, 100 yds, provides a 0.7 inch to 1 inch drift. I hope for no winds to continue load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.