Leupold one piece or Talley's?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Bbear, May 19, 2015.

1. Bbear

Bbear Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 264 WM that came with Leupold one piece bases and rings. Just wondering if switching to Talley LW would be of any benefit? I notice that the base currently on the rifle doesn't extend to the rear-most screw hole, not that that would be much of a problem, but, I'm wondering if the Talley's would be a better fit?

The rifle will be primarily for hunting and for playing around shooting/learning to shoot out to 700 yards.

2. reeldawg

reeldawg Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I used to use only leupolds for the most part. If you don't need an moa rail it's hard to beat the Talley one piece.

Jay

3. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

How any base fits depends a lot on the rifle. Rem 700 receivers, for example, vary a lot in dimensions. One piece bases often require bedding or shimming to fit properly. Savage receivers, on the other hand, are almost always the same.

Tally LW rings work well, as long as they are lapped. The saddles are extruded, not machined, and are not round until they are lapped.

4. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

I second that. Also I use Talleys to save weight.

5. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

BB, I like the Talleys and have mounted them on a lot of friends rifles. As stated the key is the lapping. Talleys are easy to lap and have been used by many custom rifle makers which indicates they are a good choice if MOA rail is not wanted. The lapping tools are reasonably priced and easy to use. Never seen a Talley lightweight come loose if a little Locktight is used and torqued to spec. Good luck