Leupold Mark 4 Spotting Scope

SES50

I am looking at getting one of the Lupy Mark 4 Spotting scopes and noticed that you can get a reticle in them. I have an MOA reticle in my scope and notice Horus Vision makes an SMOA reticle which is close. Does any one know of any other vendor that will change out the reticle in these spotting scopes? I call premier reticle and they do not do it. I would like a pure MOA reticle to match the scope instead of having one that is a little off.

Also, does anyone know the difference between the Mark 4 and the Gold Ring HD besides the body color and the reticle?

Thanks
SES50

Can honestly say I know of no one who uses one---many other products out there are a better value for the money. See what others post before you spend your money.

I am looking at these too and would like some input from other owners with MOA based reticles.

I am looking at getting one of the Lupy Mark 4 Spotting scopes and noticed that you can get a reticle in them.

Just an Thought

Why would you want an Reticle In an Spotting Scope ?

How would it help you ?

Our am I missing Something ?

My understanding is the reticle helps the spotter in ranging the target and calling shots. Shawn Carlock promoted the M4 scope in his DVD. I haven't looked through the M4 yet and am still looking for the best combo of optics and packability.

I basically want the reticle in the spotting scope for two reason.

1. Measuring antler size at distance to decide if I am going to take the shot.
2. Calling shots when spotting or for someone to use when they are spotting for me.

The Leupold is the only spotting scope I think that you can get a reticle put in at this time and like I said Horus is the only vendor I know that has anything close to an MOA reticle.

USO builds a FFP scope with several different reticle options. For the experienced guy, it might be okay, but to start with I would want my rifle scope and spotter to be the same.

Sort of off topic but, I have one and can say if you wear glasses and want to see the whole field of view at max magnification, this is the scope for you ...

I tried hard to find a compact spotter with decent magnifcation and sufficient eye relief so I didn't have to take my glasses off to see through it. This was what I found.

The MK4 is the spotter we are issued. I personally wouldn't buy one. I am grateful to have one issued however. That is one tough SOB! Mine was dropped several times (by idiots), knocked off my Hummer several times (by idiots), was ran over by a 16,000lb tactical vehicle (again-idiots) and lived through a big freaking IED that destroyed the vehicle. I think it only comes in mildot and TMR. The glass is good at best, definately not $1400 good. I haven't peaked through one but it sounds like your best bet for the options you want is a USO.

So my rifle is a custom built 338 Lapua with a 3-18 USO T-Pal with EREK knob. I did not even realize that USO build a spotting scope. I never scrolled that far down the page. That is great! I can get the same reticle as I have in my rifle scope. I think it is even lighter weight than Mark 4 and it is cheaper. I think the problem is answered.

Thanks guys for all your help
SES50

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.