40x or 60x Spotting Scope?

redneckclimbing

So, the question is, how often can you actually use the 60x upper magnification on your spotting scope, considering mirage and so forth? I've sat behind a 60x Swaro and counted growth rings on some Desert Sheep at over a mile before, and it was awesome! However, that happened to be in a perfect spot where the mirage didn't affect anything and the sun was at my back. And let's be honest, tags like that are pretty hard to come by!

Anyways, for the average person, hunting everything from Mule Deer to Sheep (when he draws a tag). Does anyone think the extra weight/size of the huge lenses, that are generally associated with the 60x spotters, are worth it? I'm the kind of guy who can look at a deer and say yes or no on whether to shoot it. I don't care if it's going to score 173" or 181". Either one would be my biggest deer ever. What are your thoughts/experiences?

I like my 60x more for the bigger objective and it's light gathering ability.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.