Let's talk day packs

ewoelk

I've been researching day packs for a few weeks now. Plan on using one on a trip to Montana this fall. I don't need anything crazy on this particular trip, but I would like something that I'll also be able to take on one night/two day backpacking trips.

I've been looking at the Tenzing 2220. It seems to have a lot of good features, but I can't find any current reviews on it since they were bought out by Plano. I tried calling their customer service today and that was useless.

Badlands seems to have a pretty good reputation. I know some guys don't like them, but they have some good options such as the Super Day, 2200, and the Sacrifice.

Or am I better off buying something cheaper that will still get the job done such as a Cabelas Elite Scout?

I'm trying to stay under $200. I know some of those Badlands packs are more than that. I shouldn't need more than 1,800-2,500 cu in. If I need something bigger, my dad has a J34 I can borrow.

I'll take a look at them.

Would I be better off looking at hiking packs from companies like Osprey or Kelty?

I like the Sitka since it has a built in feature for carrying your rifle. The other products mentioned will certainly work also as a day pack.

Try Nimrod. I've used them for years. They are very well made. They are pretty much the standard for firefighters. They can't be beat for quality. I have two. One I've used for over 10 years thru some rough stuff. Every zipper still works. Every seam is still good. Every clip still works. Not a tear. You will never wear it out.
THE GUIDE DAY PACK IN OUR NEW "BACK COUNTRY EXTREME ADDITION"! YOU WILL NOT RUN OUT OF SPACE WITH THIS PACK! IT WAS DEVELOPED BY AND FOR OUR GUIDES AND OUTFITTERS, AND OFFERS NUMEROUS POCKETS AND A HYDRATION TANK POCKET!

Over the past few years, I have tried several different day packs, looking for a pack that met my needs with regard to storage and accessibility . Last year I bought a Tenzing 1250 lumbar pack. While it has features that i really liked, it proved to be a little clumsy and bit noisy on last year's CO elk hunt. Prior to that, I tried an Eberlestock pack (J34) but, it was just too big and heavy for a day pack. However, it is one of my favorite multi-day packs. After looking at a few more packs and trying them out with weight in the stores, I have finally decided on Cabela's Elite Scout pack. I have it loaded with everything I will be carrying on a day's hunt, including a full bladder of water and it comes in at just under 18 lbs. Training with the pack this summer, it has proven to be incredibly comfortable and capable of carrying everything I will need to carry, with room for more. Cabala's Elite Scout pack is inexpensive and useable. i'm done searching for a day pack.

A little more dollars, but the gunrunner II is the best daypack for long range hunters IMO.
The super day packs are flat out sweet, but lack stability for heavy loads... excellent for light packing though.

I've found I can carry the following in my little REI Flash day pack/stuff sack:

1. Hydration bladder W/hose
2. food for the day
3. 1st aid kit
4. butchering gear & trash bags for meat
5. extra clothes (down vest, gloves, rain parka, etc.)
6. "10 essentials" for hiking (headlamp, map & compass and anything not already mentioned)
7. 1/2 of a Thermarest sit pad (goes in hydration bladder pocket, against my back)

If I get a deer or elk the backstraps go into a trash bag and I go back to camp for my backpack to carry out the rest of meat.

BTW, I have found EVERY Eberlestock pack over-built with needlessly heavy Cordura, thick webbing straps and big buckles. Unless it's for the military this extra weight is useless. What? Are you going to drag the **** thing over sharp talus??

Eric B.

I like the J34 when I need the room and may want to pack some meat out first trip, but for a pure lightweight daypack I like the X1A2. It's a newer version of the X1A1 with a wider scabbard that's centered up in the pack. It has outside pockets for a spotter and tripod. It's my first choice when that capacity is enough. Its not a multi-day pack though a sleeping bag in the main compartment and spotter/tripod in the outer pockets wouldn't leave a ton of room.

I'd try the J34 and see how you like it, load it up and hike with it some before buying a cheaper pack you will end up replacing. They are a bit heavy but mine is comfortable enough it doesn't feel that bad.

Something to consider on packs without a scabbard especially is width, make sure it's comfortable to carry a rifle slung over your shoulder if they dont' have a scabbard or gun bearer system.

Check these out before buying anything else.
https://exomountaingear.com/
They're not cheap, but they're worth it. I tried a few different Eberlestocks. Still use a Gunrunner for short hikes. I did a bunch of research before an elk hunt last year and bought the 3500 which is closer to 5000 because they don't include the lid and exterior stretchy pockets into their measurements. I added the weapon carrier, 3 stash pockets, hip belt pouch and crib load panel. I love how versatile it is. Thinking about ordering the 2000 bag just to have a little smaller pack.

DAY packs are generally less than 2,000 cubic inches in volume. Some of the "day" packs listed here are really weekend packs.

My pack is a minimalist day pack because it's part of my backpack gear and serves as a clothing stuff sack until I need it as a hunting day pack. That's why it is so small (1,000 cu. in.).

Eric B.

Check out EXO mountain gear K2-2000 pack. Just got mine. Well thought out pack.
Very well built. Versatile pack with accessories. Comfortable. The K2 frame narrows down at the bottom which is nice if you shoulder carry your rifle.

I just bought a new day pack at Cabela's. It's their Top Load Pack and it is 1200 cubic inches or about 20 liters. It holds survival gear in case I have to spent a night out in the woods plus meat bags, extra clothing and my spotting scope and tripod. It also serves as my rifle rest (I hate bipods). I bulk it out with a down vest for that purpose and that also helps keep the gear inside from rattling around and making noise.

Check out EXO mountain gear K2-2000 pack. Just got mine. Well thought out pack.
Very well built. Versatile pack with accessories. Comfortable. The K2 frame narrows down at the bottom which is nice if you shoulder carry your rifle.

Do you know if the lid off the 3500 will attach to the 2000? Not that I need it, but I like the quick access the lid gives me for a few different items.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.