Lets talk boots

I live and hunt all over but a lot in the rockies since I live in Idaho. I have tried all sorts of boots. Its seems whenever I find a good pair.. the company then decides to never make them again.
I have really weak ankles from wrestling. So I needed a good pair of boots to hold up to the extreme terrain we have in Idaho. Especially being able to handle mountain terrain carrying a pack.
The boots that were best are the LOWA GTX HI. They are stiff enough for my ankles and yet comfy too. The tend to run true to size and they fit my wide foot darn well.
After about 3 months of hard wear (every day for a three hours dog training). the inserts felt like they were wearing out.. so I replaced them with some spenco gel insoles. I now have had them for a year.. antelope in Wyoming, bird hunting in Montana Oregon and Idaho, Elk and deer in Idaho in the mountains. Never had a more comfortable boot.
I will be honest. They are very stiff laterally and they give good support anterior to posterior but they have a softer spot in the Achilles area that allows the foot to dorsiflex and plantarflex (go up an down). I was worried initially as this seemed to be a weak point but its held up for a year of hard use. (Its nothing for me to blow out some danners, or asolo's, irish setters, in a couple of months. the only other pair of boots that has held up for me is a pair of Whites.. but they are the heavy!.. and cold.)
The GTX has a waterproof insert (Goretex). and I have waded streams up to the tops of the boot and the waterproof held. I have used them in muddy terrain and they have good grip yet the cleats seem to clean out pretty well and not collect a ton of mud. They have a lace spot on the front of the tongue and unfortunately when I got them there was no instructions in how to use it when lacing. Only later did I google it and find a video. If you use it from the get go.. it centers the tongue so it doesn't drift to one side.

A good tip I got on the internet was to check out "shoe buy" as a place to get them. They have sales or 20 to 30 percent internet coupons every so often and you can save. If you keep checking, sometimes its more. I got lucky and they had a weekend 35% off and I ended up buying another pair of Lowa GTX hi.

Jaybo made me remember an important point: SOCKS! Buying very high quality wicking socks of the appropriate thickness to fit in your boot. I like Wigwam Ultimax but there are several good brands out there. I also use sock liners if I know I'm going to be hitting it hard, and ever since starting to use quality socks and sock liners I've never had a blister.

I have only done one mountain hunt but I am a backpacker so let me go at it from that angle too. Are you going on a guided hunt? If so, ask your outfitter how much walking you will do each day. We were also required to carry a pack with us with a certain amount of survival gear, first aid kit, rain gear etc... See what you will carry and what it weighs. A lot of backpacking boots are rated as light, medium, or heavy backpacking. The difference being the weight of the boot and how ridged the sole is. I have read that for every pound your boot weighs it is equivalent to ten pounds on your back. Your pack probably won't be more than 35 pounds so I would go with a medium weight boot with good ankle support. It would be better for them to be a little on the loose side vs too tight. If you do a lot of hiking your foot can swell a little. Also it will allow you to use a second pair of thin socks if it gets too cold. Just make sure they are not so loose that they slip or you will get blisters.

Every ones foot is different. For years I used Asolo and they were very comfortable. I read an article on the Salomon 4D and tried them on along with a pair of Lowa. Salomon won for me hands down. I would go to a sporting goods store that carries a wide variety and see what fits your foot the best. Make sure it has a rigid sole to give plenty of support on uneven terrain and try to keep the weight of the boot under 3.5 pounds per pair. Good luck.

We will be going with a guide. He has recommended to bring just a small pack due to using horses for the bulk work. He also told me I would only need some survival gear, extra socks, optics, water, and food to bring during the day. I'd guess I will have under 30 lbs including my rifle on me at any given time. ill probably be using a tenzing 1250 fanny pack which isnt very large, but can take quite a bit of weight if need be. Walking can be anywhere from a few hundred yards to a few miles depending on the stalk. Im going to plan for many miles of walking, just in case.

Thank you to all the replies, very good information here

Make sure you pack some light weight rain gear in your pack and a warm coat or sweater. We also hunted the first rifle season and the weather varied from mid 50 to freezing. We also horse backed in while it was raining off and on and the second day of hunting it was blizzard conditions off and on. (This is where I got a reality check of long distance shooting in the mountains. I could actually see snow blowing in all different directions as the terrain changed or stayed flat.) We were in area 66 hunting between 10,000 and 13000 feet. Weather can change quick at that altitude so be prepared.

As scott63 said, get some top quality wool socks. Don't have anything cotton. And one other thing on ordering boots. I used to get deals at Sierra Trading Post but, be careful of discontinued stock. I had a pair of brand new boots just discontinued and on sale that the sole and glue fell apart on me during a 3 day backpack trip. Fortunately I had plenty of nylon string and some duct tape to make it out. Better to spend a little extra and be secure that the material is new and will hold up.

Make sure you pack some light weight rain gear in your pack and a warm coat or sweater. We also hunted the first rifle season and the weather varied from mid 50 to freezing. We also horse backed in while it was raining off and on and the second day of hunting it was blizzard conditions off and on. (This is where I got a reality check of long distance shooting in the mountains. I could actually see snow blowing in all different directions as the terrain changed or stayed flat.) We were in area 66 hunting between 10,000 and 13000 feet. Weather can change quick at that altitude so be prepared.

As scott63 said, get some top quality wool socks. Don't have anything cotton. And one other thing on ordering boots. I used to get deals at Sierra Trading Post but, be careful of discontinued stock. I had a pair of brand new boots just discontinued and on sale that the sole and glue fell apart on me during a 3 day backpack trip. Fortunately I had plenty of nylon string and some duct tape to make it out. Better to spend a little extra and be secure that the material is new and will hold up.

i will have spare clothes and rain gear. its amazing what you can fit in one of those fanny packs. i will be at similar elevation and expecting the worst for weather.

I wish you the best of luck. That was my and my sons first guided hunt and it was an awesome experience. We left out of Monson so we were not far from where you will be. We have another trip scheduled with the same outfitter but this will be an archery hunt and it will take 4-5 years to draw a tag. Also let me suggest to get in the best shape of your life. I live at sea level and am used to heavy air. At 10000 feet I was gasping for oxygen.

I wish you the best of luck. That was my and my sons first guided hunt and it was an awesome experience. We left out of Monson so we were not far from where you will be. We have another trip scheduled with the same outfitter but this will be an archery hunt and it will take 4-5 years to draw a tag. Also let me suggest to get in the best shape of your life. I live at sea level and am used to heavy air. At 10000 feet I was gasping for oxygen.

i live at sea level too. im a bit nervous being at that altitude but im in decent shape and run semi regularly. im not taking it lightly and plan on getting either over the counter medication or diamox to help with the lack of oxygen. a guy my age died of altitude sickness last year and its quite unnerving to say the least

If theres snow I run OR or Kuiu gators.I also hit some wicked terrain so I use a mountaineer type boot and have alum. grampons that are tunned down a bit

Comfort is much more important than support when choosing a boot. Some guys can walk miles comfortably in a super stiff, super supportive, boot and have no problem, and some guys cannot. I used to do a lot of backpacking and generally wore whatever boots I could find locally that fit. I remember the first pair of high class boots I ever bought they were LaSportiva Karakurm mountaineering boots. They were stiff as hell and came highly recommended from all the experts at the new outdoor store that stocked only high end backpacking, camping, climbing and fly fishing gear. I tried my best to like those books and break them in, but nothing helped. I went on a 50mile week long backpack trip in the Pecos wilderness about two months after buying the boots. I had horrible blisters within the first three miles. It was the worst trip of my life all thanks to these overly stiff highly recommended boots. I will never buy boots based upon expert opinion ever again. Do yourself a favor and make a trip to an outdoor retailer and try out boots before buying them. I now wear the Solomon 4d gtx boots that have already been recommended. I like them a lot, my feet are narrow and these boots run narrow. They flex just the right ammount so that going uphill does not cause your heel to slip in the boot. They are sturdy and provide good traction. They are not as durable as the LaSportiva or the other super tough, super stiff boots out there, but I would rather wear the boot out than have it wear me out.

Salomon 4ds are the best boot for me and almost every person Ive turned on to them. I own Meindls and Scarpas and I am in full agreement with Timnterra. After hiking myself silly in the mtns all day I generally find myself keeping them on when I get home. Light as feathers and just the right amount of support. Don't wear as long as the stiffer boots but that doesn't matter at all when your feet feel this good every time you lace them up.
YMMV
Best of luck

I just went to sportsman's because I heard the had kenetrek, which they did. Ended up leaving with a pair of Zamberlan 980 outfitter gtx. They fit me better and are 1lb lighter. I have been wearing Schnees abssorka and the juse don't fit me right. The kenetrek look and feel much the same as the schnees. I guess I find out how they work out soon I post a reort.

Re: Lets talk boots - BOOT BREAK-IN ROUTINE

For breaking in new boots the are all or mostly leather I first fill them with warm water and let them sit in a bathtub for 30 minutes. This gets the water through out the layers of the boots.

Then I drain them for 15 minutes and wear them around the house. If they truly do not fit well after a few hours you can let them dry completely and take them back. The boot uppers and soles will still look new.

If they do fit them wear them in this damp condition on the trail with a 25 to 30 lb. pack for a few hours. Repeat the procedure until you feel the boots are well broken in.

The water is a substitute for your sweat but is faster in wetting the boots and much kinder to the boot materials than sweat.

I've use this routine on Danners, Merrill, Timberland, etc. and it works well whether they are Gore-Tex or not.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.