Lets talk boots

I bought a pair of Kennetrek Mountain boots this year and can not recommend them enough. Best boot I've ever worn and I've worn a lot. I don't know anyone associated with the company. Kenetrek - Hunting Boots
These are the style I have. Not their PAC boots.

For hunting, I have mainly worn whatever duty boots I had at the time but that was in NY and GA. My absolute favorite are the Garmont T8 Bifida. They are a solid boot and the vibram sole in comfortable for long hours on your feet with a heavy pack. I wouldn't recommend them for snowy conditions as once they are wet, they take a while to dry. I have worn two pairs out. 1 Lasted 2 years and the other 8 months but only because I didn't pull them off and 8 months of the left boot pushing on the right boot wore a hole in the heel of the boot. I will be ordering another pair for duty and dry weather hunting but I am looking for a pair of good waterproof boots for hunting when the weather turns wet and snowy. My plan is to go into REI and get the boots that feel best.

For break in or long hours, I recommend women's knee highs. I get several pairs at a time from Walmart. Last time I bought them I paid $.50 each and wear them under quality boot socks. I have never had a blister with this combo. I got a little ribbing at first but when people saw I had no blisters after long field movements, I probably gave out 15 pairs.

I have been wearing the Kennetrek for quite a few years now. They have replaced them for me every two years as they have leaked. Went out this year on opening day in heavy rain and sure enough they leaked. Sent them in and they called me to let me know that the are leaking and that they will repair them for me. I should have them back in a month. Now I do not have boots for hunting season. These have been the best boot I have ever worn, but I can not deal with them leaking and now not having boots. I can no longer recommend them to anyone. I tried on some boots the other day and the Crispi boot looks to be my next purchase. Feel like the same support as the Kennetrek. The Crispi use Gortex and the Kennetrek use Windtex. The gal at the store told me that the only problem they have had with the Kennetrek is leaking. Hard to believe they are selling a $450 boot and have to shortcut the water proof lining. I tried the Lowe and Scarpa boots and they do not have the same support. Particularly lateral for side hilling.

Mountaineering boots with heavy support are the way to go if you are going to cover any significant ground in the rockies.

Steve

I got a steal on Kenetrek boots a couple of yrs ago.This place was discontineing them.So I got them for like 200.00 bucks 1000gm.Like a dummy and against my wifes advice I didnt buy 2 pair.Best boot I ever wore.

Jager19,

I hear you regarding Lowa boots. They are German, like Miendel and are made to last therefore worth the little extra money.

Right now I'm wearing Merrill but, like other American brands, they too wear out with a year's constant use.

However I've had two pair of Daners go tits up long before they wore out. The heavy all-leather Danners had a shank in the left boot break and creak like hell with every other step. The lightweight Danner GTX boots had the right sole SPLIT all the way across the ball of the foot! Cabala's reimbursed me for both pair and I'll never buy another pair of Danners.

Eric B.

Im on my 3rd pair of heavy Asolo Have 2 pr of the Granite G5 now as how much i love them.But they are a mountaineer boot and not for everyone and a bit heavy,but I get years of hard use out of them. I have falls where i put in 40-50 days with lot of rock and I run crampons quite a bit.Currently I have about ten prs of boots of various makes.I have a pair of all leather Cripis that as mentioned are very comfortable and have a great sole.I used my tire groover and cut extra grooves in the super heavy duty Asolo sole .

RockymtnMT,
Which Crispi did you settle on? My Kenetreks finally gave up and I need to replace them. Just curious what you chose? I don't have a Crispi dealer near me

RockymtnMT,
Which Crispi did you settle on? My Kenetreks finally gave up and I need to replace them. Just curious what you chose? I don't have a Crispi dealer near me

I have not settled yet. I am sorry that I did not pay more attention when I was at the Army Navy store trying them on. The ones that I tried on looked very much like the Kennetreks.

Steve

Schnee's Granites for summer to cold weather, Schnee's packs for freezing. The wife wears Schnee's Beartooths and same packs for her winter boot. Comfortable right out of the box, fantastic company to deal with.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.