Len's rifles?

lazylabs

Len I do appreciate this and check it most days. I feel a little bad about posting this but...

I can't help but notice a large portion of the dozen of popup ads mention LRH or Lens guns. There is one ad that even suggest "built by Len".

It looks like you are having spec guns built by sponsors and then selling them? I guess this site has gotten to that point but an ad saying your building guns seems a little misleading.

I know this may seem like a small issue but it seems like the proper builders are not getting credit for thier work.

I see this quite a bit with some of the smiths sharing info just to have others take it and "steal" thier work. The edge is a good example, I believe that should be Shawn's cartridge just as the 338 AM is Kirby's. Since it was easier to steal the 338/300 there are quite a few people making them and calling them edge's. The AM and the snipe-tac are similiar but still different enough to give proper due. I think it's important to reward the folks that do the leg work. I could of just called and got pacific to make me a snipe-tac reamer and saved a few bucks by having a different smith chamber my barrel. I decided to pay Dave for the work since he did the development work.

Lets reward the guys that sink the money, time and effort into actually building these nice guns and developing the next generation!

Respectfully,

The .338/300 was on multiple drawing boards from the second we saw the RUM case. We were shooting my partners long before it was commonly called the "EDGE". At any rate it was before we heard it called that or heard of Shawn. I went standard .338 RUM.

When I refer to it as the "EDGE" I consider a hat tip of respect for Shawn as he has taken it far beyond what our thoughts were/are.

Look at the backlogs of guys waiting for rifles from some of the names you mention. The number of threads, anybody know what's up....I can't get a phone call or email response. Not a criticism just a fact.

There is a void there in the market, and someone guaranteeing accuracy, and prompt delivery was/is bound to do well. I know I'm tempted.

Objecting to the pop-ups on his site, is kind of like going to someone's house, and complaining about pictures of their kids and grandkids every where. Whose kids and grandkids should he have pictures of?

I totally agree the 300 RUM case was necked to 338 immediatly. There must be hundreds of versions by now. I was objecting(not on his behalf) to others than Shawn using the edge name. There can be .001 changed here and there to make things your own. I have a set of 338/300 reamers but I don't claim to shoot "edge" rifles. There are some that do..... If one of these people build a gun for $1000 less than Shawn and then call it an edge and it shoots 6 MOA is that fair?

It's like ackley, he did the work and still gets some respect. If I make a 257 "ackley" with a 39 deg shoulder is it still an ackley?

If I let some very talented smiths build guns that I sell do I say that I build guns?

When you reference "kids pictures" I realize I am picking on the site owner. He is of course able to ban me or pull my post. This is not ment as a personal attack or insult, just MY opion as a poster. I build guns for myslef and friends, does that make me a gunsmith? HELL NO. If you buy and sell rifles do you build guns? No

This site has went from a group of dedicated shooters to tens of thousands of shooters. It has also changed dramatically from almost ten years ago when I joined, some good, some bad. It's the web life cycle and I hate to see it happen. This place was a great learning tool.

Ads..... Yes I can bitch about ads, it's no longer someones "house" when they are making money off of it. If it's not a business it would not have a "store" section that grows every day.

It's turned in to the worst of the west around here..... but that's a different post

I doubt you'll get banned. I hope not.

The "kids pictures" was offered as an attempt at a humorous tweak.

I meant the respectfully, and wanted to see where you were going.

Sometimes it's a difficult medium to converse through. I completely missed the first time through what you were saying about the "EDGE". Certainly I don't think someone should claim that Shawn built a rifle he did not. It would not have occurred to me to do such a thing. I have more often heard others refuse to use "EDGE" because they were doing it earlier, on and on. So I tend to hear .338/300 RUM etc. as a failure to acknowledge the work Shawn as done to push out farther.

Len's capable of defending his ad's. My only point was from the perspective of having waited long periods for rifles, the option of buying an accurate well made rifle in a short time frame is appealing. Knowing it will be here well ahead of hunting season etc.

I haven't been here 10 years, and I do very little other internet stuff so my experience doesn't leave me a good basis for comment. I do see conversations that quits being fun or educational at times. Such is cyberspace I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts