Lengthening factory throats?

Screenshot_20190301-083223_Drive.jpg

I was going to load some to the max oal (base of boat tail at the neck/shoulder junction) and cut a little at a time until the bolt almost closes. That's why I'd like to know the Berger dimensions so I can figure where I should be so I don't cut to deep for these 145-150 grain VLD/ELD bullets.

I was going to load some to the max oal (base of boat tail at the neck/shoulder junction) and cut a little at a time until the bolt almost closes. That's why I'd like to know the Berger dimensions so I can figure where I should be so I don't cut to deep for these 145-150 grain VLD/ELD bullets.

boy Buddy , you can try that . it seemed that the bullets grew at different rates when I cut my throat . I bought a bunch of different bullets that I thought I'd like to shoot . I loaded one of each to touch the lands before any cutting . I also loaded one of each , like you say , at the neck shoulder junction . I then loaded the third one of each , and kept pulling the bullet out so I could watch things happen . I had it figured "on paper " if the throat was cut for the 143 ELDx every other bullet I had would work out , this was wrong . I'm glad I bought all the different bullets and slowly cut the throat while checking my progress with the different bullets .

just a couple of things I've thought of to mention to you .
be sure the bullet loaded to the case shoulder junction will fit your magazine . I think it was already mentioned , these reamers cut fast , be careful . watch the two brass depth control nuts on the reamer , to be sure they don't come loose while turning the reamer . the nuts came loose for me at the beginning of the cutting , it really didn't matter at that point , if they would have came loose close to the end it could have been bad .
take your time , pay close attention , you'll be fine .

Well, if I swap out to a long action mag and bolt stop my magazine availability will likely exceed the case's longest possible overall length. My thoughts were if I could chamber longer rounds I'd have a rifle that gives up very little to the 270 Weatherby. Is it a huge difference? Probably not; but I can't leave anything well enough alone.
Personally I don't think you will gain much here, but if your goal is to get closer to the WEATHERBY.....WHY didn't you buy Weatherby....got be awfully close in price. Unlike so many of you here I guess I'm a bit of coward when it comes to altering a factory rifle. Good on the rest of you. ( I am a huge Weatherby fan by the way.... I have 3 custom left hand and bought 4 more righties for my son's. Must be weak genetics on the right hand ...lmao)

With a factory 7wsm...black shadow rifle....
I worked up a load with rl17 pushing a 140ab to 3250fps....good accuracy...but didnt get finalized on it...
And dont have any of the paperwork...much better load than any factory I was tried....

Be very careful to provide enough neck tension to hold bullets in place if you have to travel anywhere by plane.

By the time I got to South Africa, my luggage and gun cases had been so roughly handled that the thick fiberglass gun case was badly gouged, aluminum cases were holed and the check baggage containing my ammo was very badly battered. This was wonderful Delta's service. We went to Cape Town, guns and baggage went to Paris. The frogs tossed the stuff out of the plane onto the ramp then ran over them with tugs, tire tracks all over.

My 300 WSM ammo in my check baggage would no longer chamber properly, so that an unfired, chambered round, pulled the bullet when the shot passed, and I opened the bolt to clear the rifle, dumping a full cartridge case of powder into the action. End of day's hunt.
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.