Leica Televid APO 65 Spotter - Any good?

Fisky

Looking for your thoughts on Leicas Televid APO 65mm spotter, with the 25-50 eye piece. Basically, is it worth the money? I have a Swaro 80 HD and am considering going with a lighter, more compact scope. The Leica has the weight reduction I'm looking for, but comes with a steep price tag.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Your thoughts? Thanks

You haven't told us what you'll use a spotting scope like that for. I carry a Leica but it's a rangefinder with a 7x 21 monocular. It's under 12 oz and fits in a pocket.

The Leica APOs are superb scopes but do you need the performance? . Do you use an H1 Hummer as your hunting vehicle?

The spotting scope will be used as such, for spotting animals. As I said before, looking for a little more compact, lightweight setup that will still be on par with what I'm used to looking through. The 65mm Swaro is only 6oz lighter than my current spotter, the Leica is a full pound lighter. Pretty significant weight difference when you're talking about lugging the thing around all day strapped to a pack.

I had the opportunity to look through the Leica as well as a 65mm Swaro side by side. As with any Leica optics the image was superb. I didn't get to use it for an extended time but it was very user friendly and extremely bright. You give up some magnification compared to the Swaro but most the time I've found you can't really use the upper end magnification anyway due to mirage.

The guy that owned the Swaro couldn't get over how much he liked the Leica we were looking through. The only downfall I could see is that you're used to an 80mm objective and you will see a difference in brightness going to the Leica but it's still exceptional glass. If you want to save some weight in your pack it's a beautiful piece of glass.

Thanks for the feedback guys. However, I was just informed that the Leica is not 40oz like their website claims, but actually 56oz, same weight as my current scope. FYI to all considering this scope, it's actually a 1lb heavier than they claim on the spec sheet. Not going to work.

Back to the drawing board.

Any feedback on the Zeiss Dailyt?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.