Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 ( Bino Rangefinder), enough inputs for long range hunting?

Jeffrthehunter

I just purchased a HD-B 3000 to replace my Kilo 2400 ABS rangefinder. I really like the idea of an all in one unit and more magnification for ranging animals.

I am starting to question my decision after realizing there is no calculation for spin drift, Coriolis effect, and no calculation for vertical changes due to right or left wind, my Sig Kilo will adjust for these.

So my question is for a hunting situation out to 1000 yards (my further kill shot is 850) do we really need spin drift, Coriolis effect, and or vertical offsets for wind, are the errors just to small and the calculations are not needed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
No you don't need spin or aero dynamic jump for typical/practical western ranges. I've seen some crazy shots though, beyond 1000 it does adds up a little. I'm talking 3-5 inches. Beyond 2000y I'd be concerned about your ego, but it would matter then as spin alone will be in the 20 inches range.

You don't need it done for you, if you're concerned about it. Take 1% of your drop and dial it. That's for your spin. For AJ just remember AJ=mph\100. Memorize this for 5,10,15 and 20 mph and add to your vertical solution for MRAD.

No you don't need spin or aero dynamic jump for typical/practical western ranges. I've seen some crazy shots though, beyond 1000 it does adds up a little. I'm talking 3-5 inches. Beyond 2000y I'd be concerned about your ego, but it would matter then as spin alone will be in the 20 inches range.

You don't need it done for you, if you're concerned about it. Take 1% of your drop and dial it. That's for your spin. For AJ just remember AJ=mph\100. Memorize this for 5,10,15 and 20 mph and add to your vertical solution for MRAD.
Thanks for the thoughts, I also added Coriolis effect to the list which is also calculated by the Kilo 2400 ABS.

Thanks for the thoughts, I also added Coriolis effect to the list which is also calculated by the Kilo 2400 ABS.

Coriolis has less effect then spin drift and within a 1000 thats not enough cause a miss on any normal size target. Again not something to worry about unless you want to.

I have the 1st generation of the HD-B's and they were always accurate but I think they only advertised 750 or 800 yards for calculation ballistic solutions but would range to a mile. Occasionally they would give solutions to 1,000 yards but only in ideal conditions. As mentioned inside ~800 yards the items you mention don't make enough difference except spin drift, just dial .5 MOA left(assuming R twist barrel). The most accurate way to program them was using the 1/4 click option, the other rounded off the ~0.5 MOA

I have the 1st generation of the HD-B's and they were always accurate but I think they only advertised 750 or 800 yards for calculation ballistic solutions but would range to a mile. Occasionally they would give solutions to 1,000 yards but only in ideal conditions. As mentioned inside ~800 yards the items you mention don't make enough difference except spin drift, just dial .5 MOA left(assuming R twist barrel). The most accurate way to program them was using the 1/4 click option, the other rounded off the ~0.5 MOA
Thanks for your thoughts! I did some research and the unit I am getting should output correction to .1 MOA. It also will calculate ballistics out to 1000 yards with a input of a custom profile (micro SD card). For wind I guess I'll just use my cheat card or app on phone.

Thanks for your thoughts! I did some research and the unit I am getting should output correction to .1 MOA. It also will calculate ballistics out to 1000 yards with a input of a custom profile (micro SD card). For wind I guess I'll just use my cheat card or app on phone.
The problem is/was you can only program one chip at a time and cannot rename or it corrupts the file. The best way is to have a laptop at the range so you can adjust velocity to fit the profile if you are high/ low at ~600, 700,800 yards. Inside that you don't want to adjust BC to match your drops but get the corrected BC from Applied Ballistics because the manufactures are always a bit high. If you bring it home and reprogram then the range conditions need to be the same when you retest. It is a pain but once dialed in it is exactly what you are looking for in a one stop solo unit. But just one gun at a time and it is ~ hard to switch in the field as the chips are small... micro small. I imagine all this will be easy to program in a year, that's why they are blowing out the HD-B 3000's for $1,700 at Eurooptic

I've got a set of the 2200 HD-B's and I really like them for hunting. Mine only provide elevation correction to either 950 yards or 1,000 yards. Either way, spin drift, coriolis, aerodynamic jump have never been the reason for a miss for me at those ranges.

I take my kestrel to the range and log environmental conditions and shots to always have hard copy dope. That hard data is what I use to create a 'custom' curve using Leica's ballistic program on their website. The elevation correction that gets displayed in my bino's matches my hard data/kestrel.

I do agree that it would be nice to pair with kestrel or even have generic X-mph wind corrections as well.

The problem is/was you can only program one chip at a time and cannot rename or it corrupts the file. The best way is to have a laptop at the range so you can adjust velocity to fit the profile if you are high/ low at ~600, 700,800 yards. Inside that you don't want to adjust BC to match your drops but get the corrected BC from Applied Ballistics because the manufactures are always a bit high. If you bring it home and reprogram then the range conditions need to be the same when you retest. It is a pain but once dialed in it is exactly what you are looking for in a one stop solo unit. But just one gun at a time and it is ~ hard to switch in the field as the chips are small... micro small. I imagine all this will be easy to program in a year, that's why they are blowing out the HD-B 3000's for $1,700 at Eurooptic
Hoping you could answer a few questions? If I go into the hills to check ballistics and I need to change velocity or BC value will I need a internet connection to change data on the card? Just thought about this and that would suck, my Kilo app never needed a connection. Also, once I have things dailed for my three hunting guns I am planning on running three card with small labels. BTW, I found the 10X42 3000 B on sale for $1900 (seems like a great deal). I just checked Euro Optic and they are on sale for $2,499, where did you see $1700?
Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.