Legality of the AR-15 in Canada

Discussion in 'The Rest Of The World' started by Varmint Hunter, Jan 4, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

As a resident of the good ol' USA, I've hunted in Canada many times. I normally hunt with a bolt rifle or lever rifle. I'm interested in using a 16"bbl AR-15, 458 SOCOM, for an upcoming black bear hunt. With laws changing everyday; does anyone know if a non-resident can declare an AR-15 and hunt with it in New Brunswick?

2. Jerry M

Jerry M Well-Known Member

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call prior to departure.

4. Spooksar

Spooksar Member

AR’s are classed as restricted and can only be shot at a certified range, and there are transportation rules that must be followed

5. Calvin45

Calvin45 Well-Known Member

That is true of restricted weapons here, but not all ar type weapons are restricted (those that are not are often explicitly advertised as “non restricted” so there’s no confusion - it’s all confusing as heck tho). The big thing here is that the magazine must be pinned to hold no more than 5 rounds in any semi automatic centerfire. Do indeed verify if your particular rig is legal. But no, ar type weapons are not in and of themselves illegal or even restricted any more than bolt guns in many cases up here (so long as they have no real magazine capacity, which to my mind nullifies the point of having an ar, thus my not owning one - that and my general lack of interest in owning much else besides bolt action rifles).