Legality of the AR-15 in Canada

Varmint Hunter

As a resident of the good ol' USA, I've hunted in Canada many times. I normally hunt with a bolt rifle or lever rifle. I'm interested in using a 16"bbl AR-15, 458 SOCOM, for an upcoming black bear hunt. With laws changing everyday; does anyone know if a non-resident can declare an AR-15 and hunt with it in New Brunswick?

AR's are classed as restricted and can only be shot at a certified range, and there are transportation rules that must be followed

That is true of restricted weapons here, but not all ar type weapons are restricted (those that are not are often explicitly advertised as "non restricted" so there's no confusion - it's all confusing as heck tho). The big thing here is that the magazine must be pinned to hold no more than 5 rounds in any semi automatic centerfire. Do indeed verify if your particular rig is legal. But no, ar type weapons are not in and of themselves illegal or even restricted any more than bolt guns in many cases up here (so long as they have no real magazine capacity, which to my mind nullifies the point of having an ar, thus my not owning one - that and my general lack of interest in owning much else besides bolt action rifles).

As a resident of the good ol' USA, I've hunted in Canada many times. I normally hunt with a bolt rifle or lever rifle. I'm interested in using a 16"bbl AR-15, 458 SOCOM, for an upcoming black bear hunt. With laws changing everyday; does anyone know if a non-resident can declare an AR-15 and hunt with it in New Brunswick?
Lol I'll lay the law out for you plain and simple.

ITS A COMPLETE JOKE!

All AR and AR variants are now prohibited bc our PM believes disarming law abiding citizens will prevent criminals from using firearms.
He says no Canadian needs an AR to take down a deer, but the fact of the matter is hunting with an AR has been illegal for as long as I can remember and his justification for this BS is just as flimsy as his integrity.

Sorry about your luck,
Really wish we could,
But Canada is going for a ****.

That is true of restricted weapons here, but not all ar type weapons are restricted (those that are not are often explicitly advertised as "non restricted" so there's no confusion - it's all confusing as heck tho). The big thing here is that the magazine must be pinned to hold no more than 5 rounds in any semi automatic centerfire. Do indeed verify if your particular rig is legal. But no, ar type weapons are not in and of themselves illegal or even restricted any more than bolt guns in many cases up here (so long as they have no real magazine capacity, which to my mind nullifies the point of having an ar, thus my not owning one - that and my general lack of interest in owning much else besides bolt action rifles).
Sorry but you're way off on Canadian gun law

It would appear that the Canadian Border Patrol don't always know the law either. I brought an (unmodified) Marlin 1895SBL levergun in 45-70 into Canada for a bear hunt, as I have done MANY times. I ran into an officer at the crossing who stated that I was lucky that the rifle wasn't a 1/2" shorter or he would have taken some kind of action. The barrel was the standard 18.5" bbl. I'm not sure why he needed to be threatening.

After discussing this with several Canadians I learned that rifles can have barrels even shorter than 18" provided that they were manufactured that way. I think the Marlin Trapper model is 16" or 16.5". Apparently the officer didn't know the laws too well himself. Thankfully, I didn't have a Trapper model.

Lol I'll lay the law out for you plain and simple.

ITS A COMPLETE JOKE!

All AR and AR variants are now prohibited bc our PM believes disarming law abiding citizens will prevent criminals from using firearms.
He says no Canadian needs an AR to take down a deer, but the fact of the matter is hunting with an AR has been illegal for as long as I can remember and his justification for this BS is just as flimsy as his integrity.

Sorry about your luck,
Really wish we could,
But Canada is going for a ****.
All Hail the Prime Minister. He is all-knowing and all-seeing. He is all delusional and confused. I am absolutely certain that the Canadian criminals are all up in arms because Trudeau has limited their ability to be criminals. Never fear, the Criminal Union of Canada is right at this minute working to get back their rights to shoot you more than five times.

When I filled my paperwork out to go into Ontario it specifically asked if the barrel was over 18 inches. Was taking a Henry 45-70 and was pretty nervous because it was close. Both times I have went they haven't even come out and looked. Took my money and said see you.

It would appear that the Canadian Border Patrol don't always know the law either. I brought an (unmodified) Marlin 1895SBL levergun in 45-70 into Canada for a bear hunt, as I have done MANY times. I ran into an officer at the crossing who stated that I was lucky that the rifle wasn't a 1/2" shorter or he would have taken some kind of action. The barrel was the standard 18.5" bbl. I'm not sure why he needed to be threatening.

After discussing this with several Canadians I learned that rifles can have barrels even shorter than 18" provided that they were manufactured that way. I think the Marlin Trapper model is 16" or 16.5". Apparently the officer didn't know the laws too well himself. Thankfully, I didn't have a Trapper model.
Ya he obv had no clue. It bothers me that the ppl making our laws and most of the ones enforcing have zero knowledge.
If the firearm isn't a semi centerfire then barrel length isn't a make it or break it's long as the OAL is within regs.
Levers, pumps, bolts must have an overall length of 660mm but it doesn't matter if the barrel is 18,16,12,10" as long as the OAL meets 660.
Where max barrel length of 440mm comes into play is with semi autos.
A semi auto centre fire with a barrel of 440mm and an OAL of 660mm will be non restricted
( unless it's an AR or newly deemed AR variant bc all are pathetically prohibited since May 2020)(what a friggin joke)
While any other semi centerfire that falls short of the 440mm even if it meets the OAL will be classed as restricted and also can't be used for hunting.

Our laws are confusing and many of them don't make sense, especially now, but I'm glad you didn't have too hard of a time when you came for your hunt.

All Hail the Prime Minister. He is all-knowing and all-seeing. He is all delusional and confused. I am absolutely certain that the Canadian criminals are all up in arms because Trudeau has limited their ability to be criminals. Never fear, the Criminal Union of Canada is right at this minute working to get back their rights to shoot you more than five times.
Lol he is the best all knowing all seeing deaf dumb blind person this Country has ever known!
He said it best when he stated that you don't need a license to buy a firearm in Canada, and that disarming lawful owners will cut down on gang crime!
I'm not joking in the slightest, he was filmed saying that!

Criminals gotta love a leader that screws the licensed law abiding citizen and does nothing to negatively affect them!

Btw, what do you think about 300 Blackout?

Btw, what do you think about 300 Blackout?
I don't own a 300 Blackout but assume that it works rather well for its intended purpose, close range, suppressed fire. Other then that, it's a rather anemic cartridge that is easily surpassed but most other cartridges for hunting game animals.

99% of my interactions with border officers (on both sides) have been pleasant and professional. However, it's the 1% that stick in your craw. I'm looking at diverting some of my excursion hunts away from areas that require border crossings. Covid is just another aspect of travel that will keep me a bit closer to home.

It's probably worth adding that one of the reasons that I hunt in Canada so often is the Canadian people themselves. We travel quite a bit and stay in hotels and visit small communities along our route while hunting from various lodges. Our NY accent makes us stand out as non-locals. Virtually everywhere we went the Canadians were friendly and welcomed our visits to their communities. We always appreciated the hospitality.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.