lee classic 4 hole turret press/good or not?

elkins93

New to reloading getting into it with tax season, looking at the Lee 4 hole turret press for my 30-06 and 7mm reloading needs. Is this wortg the money and a good one to start with?

New to reloading getting into it with tax season, looking at the Lee 4 hole turret press for my 30-06 and 7mm reloading needs. Is this wortg the money and a good one to start with?

I prefer the single stage for bottleneck cases. Lee says the classic Turret press is good for longer shells but I tried some shorter bottlenecks in my Lee Turret Press, not classic, and it just felt spongy and I didn't like the feel of the whole process. I switched over to a Single stage.

Not saying it will be, but I suspect you will prefer a more solid feel...at least for the sizing part. However, "neck sizing only" may be different.

I'd recommend a single stage "O" type press. These give the best chance for producing concentric ammo, especially with full length rifle cases.

I'd pick up a used RockChucker before a new turret press.

I prefer the single stage for bottleneck cases. Lee says the classic Turret press is good for longer shells but I tried some shorter bottlenecks in my Lee Turret Press, not classic, and it just felt spongy and I didn't like the feel of the whole process. I switched over to a Single stage.

Not saying it will be, but I suspect you will prefer a more solid feel...at least for the sizing part. However, "neck sizing only" may be different.

OOPS, sorry. Wrong thread.

CrimpOnly_NoResize_zpsbf0bf1e9_1.jpg.html
CarbideFactoryCrimpandSizingDie_zps8604422c_1.jpg.html

I considered a single stage but im looking to be able to do 500-700 rounds of 223 in a day if i want to.

Ill buy a single stage for loading my 7mm and 30-06

I considered a single stage but im looking to be able to do 500-700 rounds of 223 in a day if i want to.

You ask about loading the '06 and the 7mm and when people post their impressions of the Lee loaders you come back at them with wanting to load500-700 rounds of 223 in a day! Are you positive of even what you will reload?

A turret press loads one shell, one stroke at a time. A single stage press loads one shell, one stroke at a time...but one process at a time before you change dies. Single stage presses are best for rifle cases because there is more leverage per stroke. A turret press will do bottlenecks but no faster than a single stage and from my experience it is not as solid as a single stage for resizing.

A drop type powder measure can be finicky at times, especially if used as one stage of a turret press. If it loads heavy or loads light, problems can occur. At least with a single stage you can easily check for the powder level.

If you want speed, see if there is a progressive that handles bottlenecks. You will spend all day using a turret or single stage press to do 500-700 rounds from start to finish.

If this answers any of your questions, good.

IMHO...

If you are doing rifle cases use a single stage. If pistol cases, a turret press or progressive is best.

I have an older 3 hole turret Lee. Press is probably 25-30 years old and not a single issue. Have loaded everything from 204 up through 300 Win Mag. with no problems sizing large cases and have built some super accurate ammo from this press. I have multiple turrets so I can leave dies set up and just swap turrets between cartridges. A single stage would be just as fast if you do one step at a time which is what I would recommend.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts