Evaluation of my new Lee Classic Turret Press reloading 9mm

DartonJager

Now that I have reloaded and shot 560 of my first 660 9mm reloads, combined with I'm sure many gun owners who were thinking of getting into reloading prior to the current massive ammo panic and resulting ammo shortage have prompted them to either get into reloading or at least begin serious research as to what reloading kits or equipment they will need to buy. Accordingly I figured now that I have a reasonable amount of experience reloading with it, I'd do a first hand review of my newly set up Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press reloading 9mm that they can use if they so wish as an aid in their research. From here on out I will often refer to the Lee Classic Turret press as L/C/4H/TP.

I feel my evaluation of my new Lee Classic 4 hole Turret Press has the potential of being of particular interest and possible benefit to beginning first time re loaders on a tight budget.

I will also say I have been reloading 45acp, 38 and 357 handgun ammo for over 30 years now and rifle for about 25-26 years, so I have amassed a HUGE amount of reloading equipment and are at least a competent judge on what reloading equipment should be regarded as a necessity and what is a pure luxury. I am far from an expert but I would rate myself at intermediate just below advanced reloader. I also am NOT a rabid Lee reloading equipment fan as I have reloading dies and equipment from RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, K&M, and PACT just to name a few.

I do not remember the exact date but it was either Nov/Dec 0f 2016 or Jan/Feb of 2017 when I bought a Hornady LnL AP press to reload 223 and have been very happy with it. But after about three months of using the LnL AP press and seeing how fast I could crank out 100s of 223, I decided I now wished to begin reloading 9mm and, and priced all the extras I would need to set up my H/LNL/AP press added up to more than I anticipated. I also wished to avoid having to change back and forth reloading between a HG and rifle caliber.

Buying a second Hornady LnL AP was economically out of the question. So I began to explore my options. I priced every single stage press from RCBS (I already have two RCBS RCS presses) Hornady and Lyman and then looked at Lee. I was considering buying a third single stage press to set up one to de-prime and re-size, then one for case flaring and for bullet seating and one for crimping and charge the cases in a separate step in between case flaring and seating. But when I wished to reload my rifle cartridges I would have to change over at least one press which basically defeated the purpose of buying a third single stage press.

Then I came across the Lee Classic 4 hole Turret Press Kit at my favorite Ma & Pa LGS and it greatly intrigued me. The fact that it was on sale for with tax for $203.63 OTD and the owner who I have been buying guns, ammo and reloading supplies for 23-24 years, let me substitute items that the kit had but I didn't need for ones it didn't have but I did need for no change in price sealed the deal.

For not much more than the cost of a bare bones single stage press from RCBS or Hornady, I walked out 100% ready to reload 9mm. Then for the next three years my Lee Classic turret press Kit sat unused in my basement because 9mm on line bulk 500/1k ammo prices had become acceptable to me and a guy at my rifle club was selling reloaded 9mm ammo at a price that made reloading not worth my time. However, I did THANKFULLY continue to stock pile powder, primers, bullets and brass for all my firearms, but really stocked up in HG reloading components.

Then came the ammo panic 2.0 of 2020 and reloading 9mm has now become a must.

I watched a 6-7 YouTube videos on how to set up and use my L/C/4H/TP and then set about doing so. I did clean the press and all dies prior to setting up.
I began with only ten test rounds of the fallowing load:

>124 Grain Hi-Tek coated bullets
>4.2 grains of HP-38
>Remington 1-1/2 Small HG primers
>My own recovered mixed head stamp 1x fired brass from REM, FED, WIN, CCI, and Speer.
>Total length between 1.1055 and 1.0995
>Used 100% Lee dies that came with the kit.
>Placed every loaded round in a Shock Bottle loaded round checker and then Plunk tested every reload
>Average velocity 1010fps

First ten fed and fired without issue. Accuracy FOR ME was good.
Then reloaded 50 of the same load. Did have 4 of those that needed the bullet seated deeper before they passed the "Plunk Test" Once they all passed the Plunk Test" all fed and fired without issue. Then reloaded 500 more and they all fed and fired without issue and again accuracy was good. Of rounds 51-560 did have a total of 17 loaded rounds fail the Shock Bottle loaded round tester that 6 of which passed the "Plunk Test" the other 11 had to have their bullets seated deeper. I then reloaded 100 more of the same loading and I'm happy to say 95 passed the "Plunk Test first time.

Now for the review.
PRO's:
>Great all around value for the price I got a semi-progressive press and a single stage manual or auto-indexing press fully equipped ready to reload a single caliber reloading kit for not much more than the cost of a single stage press. The current OTD price on the same kit is still under $230 and less than any single stage reloading kit from any of Lee's competitors.

>The Press itself is well made and very sturdy.
>Press is VERY quick, simple and easy to set up. Best guess I had the press up and installed in well under an hour.
>The press can serve as both a single stage manual I indexing press or an auto indexing press.

>Dies are also very simple quick and easy to set up and based on my quality checks makes ammo every bit as high quality as my H/LnL/AP, but admittedly at about only ½ the production rate. I have been using Lee Collet, FLRS, trimming, universal de-capping and B/seating dies for over 25 years and love them.

>Priming tool is also extremely easy to set up, fill with primers and very easy to use and primes quickly. This Lee press priming tool works much better than than I ever imagined it would based on it's appearance. Much faster and just as easy to use as the RCBS press priming system. It is essentially the easiest, simplest and best primer mounted priming tool I've used to date.

>The Lee Auto drum Powder dispenser sets up easily and has been so for very accurate. I tested 50 individual loads of 4.2 grains of HP-38 and it remained with in +/- 0.25 of a grain. Did two 10 grain charges and one came in at 42.4 grains and the other at 41.8 grains. My first 50 rounds I weighed every charge and then once I was confident in the dispensers consistency and accuracy I checked every 10th round.

I timed my last 50 rounds and this included primer checks every 10 rounds to insure primers are seated properly and every loaded round is dropped into a Shock Bottle loaded round gauge. Steps included are:
1>Load case
2> De-prime, re- size, prime, slide 10th case on glass plate for primer check
3> Charge case with powder and flair mouth, visually confirm case charged
4> Place bullet in case
5> Seat bullet
6>Factory crimp bullet
7>Place finished round in Shock bottle loaded round checker

I am not going as quickly as I can because I feel until I am absolutely confident in my abilities with this press I will proceed at a reduced production level. And the last thing any reloaded should EVER be in us a hurry.

Even considering my self imposed speed limitation it took me 18 minuets and 40 seconds to reload 50 loaded rounds or +/- 160 rounds and hour. I feel confident once I am comfortable with my abilities that number should increase quite easily to about 170 rounds an hour, but I am very happy with 160 rounds per hour average.

Now for the press Cons:
>Auto Drum powder measure: It leaks slightly, and by slightly I observed about 1-3 powder flakes escape out of drum and onto the top of my press by my dies every 2-4 uses. This for me is not a huge issue.

>Hopper for powder measure: It is small only holds a little over ½ pound VS 1Lb for my other powder dispensers.
>Hopper must be removed from dispenser to be refilled. Again not a huge issue as you can easily load over 800 9mm rounds before you need to add powder.
People criticize the powder dispenser as being made from pot metal and plastic, but those same persons should keep in mind their $40k-$60 vehicles have HUGE amounts of plastic and pot metal in them and this Lee powder measure retails for under $40 and based on my experience is very accurate and consistent with my HP-38 flake powder
>Hopper doesn't come with a powder baffle but while testing for accuracy and consistency thrown charges I made a point to allow the powder to deplete to less than 10-15% left and my powder loads didn't suffer in remaining consistent in weight.

>Press mounted Auto Primer: After using it to prime over 500 9mm in my opinion it works very very well, having said that it does have one very minor con and one depending on your point of view might or might not be a con
>It only has one con in that you must exercise care on how you use it while placing the primer in the ram mounted priming tool or it will drop the primer, but it literally took me 2-3 tries and I had it down stone cold. Out of the 560+ times I used it to dispense a primer I dropped a total of four primers. I am really impressed with just how easy the Lee Safety press mounted priming tool actually works and how well it handles small hand gun primers and how well it primes 9mm brass. Yes if you fail to pay attention while using it you will drop primers, but if you can not master this priming tool in a matter of a few minuets you might wish to reconsider reloading in the first place.
>Other potential issue and I do not personally consider this an issue or con with the Lee Auto primer is once you load the priming tool and close the lid and set the tab to "ON" you have to be careful not to switch it to "Open" or you will dump the primers out. I have not had this happen but I can see how it might happen if you are careless and don't pay attention in how you handle the switching tab.

>I have heard of one other issue with the L/C/4H/TP and that is it has a common issue with failing to index completely. So far I have not had any issues with the press indexing perfectly, but the problem is out there.

Over all I would rate the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret press as a very good all around press that is in MY opinion an unequaled bargain if you want to get started in reloading as economically as you can or like me are looking to get another press to dramatically increase you volume of reloads as economically as possible. You can also use it as a 4 hole single stage press you can index manually so it is a very very versatile reloading press. In my opinion for a first time reloader looking to get into reloading as cheaply as possible you will be hard pressed to find a better bargain than the Lee Classic Turret press that includes a Lee Deluxe three die set in the caliber of your choice. If you have the financial wherewithal to afford a Hornady or Dillon press by all means do, but if on a budget like I am and still are the Lee Classic 4 Hole turret press reloading kit deserves your serious consideration.

Is it the equal of a Dillon 550C or a Hornady LnL AP press? Absolutely not and was never intended to be, but it is also less than half the price of the Dillon 550C or Hornady and it is not and never was intended to compete head to head with reloading presses on a n equal basis costing twice as much. Let me say as sternly as possible do not buy this press thinking you're getting the same performance as Dillon 550C or Hornady LNL AP presses because you will be disappointed. But it is a great little press that will serve you quite well and at the very least increase you volume of reloading by a factor of 2-3x. Yes it does have a few quirks as all presses do including even Dillon presses, but they aren't going to prevent you from successfully loading lots of high quality ammo faster than you ever could with a single stage press.

My experiences, opinions and evaluation of my new Lee Classic 4 Hole turret press reloading 9mm. Take them for what they are worth.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.