Lead Sled slipping and sliding...

KingBama

My Remington 5R .300 WM is doing a number on my new Lead Sled with 50 lbs of iron plate and 25 lbs of sand trying to hold her down. Anybody ever tried strapping the thing down to the shooting table? Very dissappointed and not looking forward to my shoulder taking the brunt this weekend when shooting from bullbags. Help and opinions appreciated.

I wish. Dang front is jumping 1 1/2"- 2" every shot. Considering ratchet-strapping it down. Friend has same trouble with his when shooting 12 ga. slug gun.

If you strap the sled to a bench or use excessive counter weight to eliminate the recoil (as supposed to reduced), something has to give ... the weakest link, i.e., rifle stock, etc ...

If you do not already have one, have an effective muzzle brake installed instead.

This might also help ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFH0A7Py1Q]Recoil Management, *Bipods Don't Hop* - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
If you strap the sled to a bench or use excessive counter weight to eliminate the recoil (as supposed to reduced), something has to give ... the weakest link, i.e., rifle stock, etc ...

Have an effective muzzle brake installed instead.

+1 with what FEENIX said. Do NOT strap it down.
I've never had trouble with it sliding too far on plywood, concrete, or planks.
Maybe you could try some new flexible rubber on the bottom?
I shoot all kinds of rifles off my sled, from 340 Wby to 22lr & I've never used any weight. Sled slides about 1-1/2" back with the bigger boomers, & not at all with the lil ones. I use mine mostly just for a rest, but the added bonus of recoil reduction is great with the big cartriges.
Maybe you have too much weight, so the muzzle jumps? I dunno. I've never had that problem, but again, I've never used any weight at all.

Do you put your shoulder up to the back of it when shooting?
I do; I just act like there's a bit of extra pad between me and the rifle.

If you don't then I can easily see how it would tip back and slide.

I used to shoot a different rest with much larger stuff. Rest had a leather saddle that contained stock end.I hooked just a basic rubber bungee to front of rest and pulled back slight, then shot. Other end hooked to bench front,took out some . Later the sleds came out.

Here's my lead sled set up ...

PA110132.jpg

(SAKO M995 in .300 Win Mag)

A couple of $1.99 straps and yes ... that's my snow chain for my truck (a that's more than plenty enough counter weights). :D

I only use the sled during load development ... after I am satisfied, I go back to my hunting rig set up (with bipod).

Here's my lead sled set up ...

PA110132.jpg

(SAKO M995 in .300 Win Mag)

A couple of $1.99 straps and yes ... that's my snow chain for my truck (a that's more than plenty enough counter weights). :D

I only use the sled during load development ... after I am satisfied, I go back to my hunting rig set up (with bipod).
That's neat. I am using 2 25lb weight plates and a sandbag but maybe the weight distributed to both sides as you have it will keep it stable. I will try. Thanks!

Cover your shooting bench with carpet, tacked or glued down. The extra friction on the feet of the Lead Sled will solve your problems.

Try some of these:lightbulb:)

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/6920395550/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/6920395550/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.