Laupa 6.5 Creedmoor Brass

B-P-UU

Although the Hornady brass has held up well for me, competition is a good thing for the end user.

forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6-5-creedmoor-lapua-brass.3908200/page-2

Yes, we currently have 6.5 Creedmoor in to works. We discussed this one at length in Finland during a new products development meeting a few months back. Several of us were pushing this one rather hard, due to the tremendous feedback we'd taken on the cartridge, and the popularity that the cartridge has already earned. Not a big one in Europe, but the US market is a significant share of our business, and we most definitely do listen to customer input. The first set ups are currently being done, and the initial trial run and in-house testing will be done shortly after that. If all goes well, we'll move on with production and hopefully make the formal introduction of this one during the SHOT show in January.

Hang on guys, it's coming.
Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

I just had a 260. Rem built not to long ago due to lapua brass. The 6.5 creedmoor was the original caliber wanted and if I knew the creedmoor brass was in the making I would of chambered for that. Guess when this barrel is gone I'll be going to creedmoor. Now only if the 300. Win mag gets produced that would just be great!!

Last edited:
I saw this as well, I would love to have some, but I was a day late on the info. So my guess would be, it is already back ordered for the next two or three years...

Last edited:
Kevin Thomas, in the thread, states they plan on making the Lapua CM brass with a small primer pocket like the 308 Palma and 6.5x47. That should be interesting.

Also, looks like Jan 2017 is when they will announce it. And like Gohring says, maybe you'll get lucky and find some on a shelf by 2020. LOF.

If they make the Creedmoor brass with a small rifle primer pocket, I think it will become even more popular than it already is. The 6.5 Creed isn't far behind the .260 and can fit and feed in a standard short action with long, high BC bullets without any modification. The advantage the 6.5x47 has is the Lapua brass and its web is stronger, due to the small rifle primer pocket, allowing for better brass life or hotter loads. If the Creedmoor brass is produced by Lapua with a small primer pocket than it will have the best of both worlds, more performance than the x47 and stronger brass than the .260 with the ability to run in unmodified short actions. I am really surprised Lapua is doing this. This could possibly doom their own cartridge and make the .260 even less desirable than it already is. Should be interesting to see how it all pans out!

If they make the Creedmoor brass with a small rifle primer pocket, I think it will become even more popular than it already is. The 6.5 Creed isn't far behind the .260 and can fit and feed in a standard short action with long, high BC bullets without any modification. The advantage the 6.5x47 has is the Lapua brass and its web is stronger, due to the small rifle primer pocket, allowing for better brass life or hotter loads. If the Creedmoor brass is produced by Lapua with a small primer pocket than it will have the best of both worlds, more performance than the x47 and stronger brass than the .260 with the ability to run in unmodified short actions. I am really surprised Lapua is doing this. This could possibly doom their own cartridge and make the .260 even less desirable than it already is. Should be interesting to see how it all pans out!

I'm not sure it will totally kill the 260 brass market. It will definitely move a lot of the people shooting straight 260 only for the Lapua brass over to the Creedmoor camp. I still think there's a good number of folks who want to get the most case capacity possible, and those people will still choose 260 or 260AI if they want Lapua brass in a short action chambering.

Why not just go past any competition -instead of heading for it?
Lapua should be talking about and testing 260AI, instead of Creedmoor and 260.
They could even offer a Lapua reamer for 260AI.

6.5x47L/130s for mid range, 260AI/140s for 1Kyd.

Why not just go past any competition -instead of heading for it?
Lapua should be talking about and testing 260AI, instead of Creedmoor and 260.
They could even offer a Lapua reamer for 260AI.

6.5x47L/130s for mid range, 260AI/140s for 1Kyd.

Might be nice if Remington took up the 260AI and made it SAAMI spec. Would be nice to have a factory rifle and ammo in one.

You're right, and since nobody has taken ownership of it, Lapua could flat out.
They don't have to call it an AI, they could call it 260L, a competition cartridge.
Leave the 6.5x55s for European hunters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.