Last ditch effort -ELK

porkchop401

Howdy fellas, I recently returned from CO GMU 65 from what was supposed to be a muzzle loader cow hunt . Upon arrival to my preferred spot I was astounded to find over a hundred cars and double that many hikers along with a dog or two each roaming the woods around the MT Sneffles area. Needless to say there was not a elk to be found and after 3 days of scouting before season I opted to turn in my license for a refund and retreat home . I spoke to a hunting buddy who stayed and hunted he saw not a single elk.
I am returning to CO to hunt the second rifle season in GMU 78/77 , I have chosen this area since their are people in my neighborhood who hunt this area(on horseback) and for safety reasons and their willing to hall out an elk if I get lucky. I intend to pack in on foot and spike when I encounter fresh sign and a lack of people.
Any body have any experience on these areas ? or any advice on back pack hunting in general. I have decent gear and will be carrying enough food to last 5-7 days . I intend to arrive on a Wednesday and hopefully be settled in camp near great elk sign that I may observe from a ridge top by the time season opens. I am guessing I will more than likely have t hike in at least 3 miles to beat the crowd. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If your going in 3 miles on your own make sure to take a SPOT or some other rescue beacon. Second rifle might be sunny or 3' of snow.

I have been considering a spot , better to have and not need than need and not have ! My plan is once I am camped ,glass ,glass , glass I hope to minimize my travels other than to pack out an elk . hopefully I can camp with in a couple hundred of my glassing position.

We have a spot and really appreciate the piece of mind. I send a checkin message every morning and night, keeps the wife's stress level down.

I am looking on eBay and saw quiet a few. I should have one buy weeks end. I am hoping buy the time I am in a mile the hunting pressure is slacking up.I will not be hunting the same drainages my friends will be on horses. They sleep in the camper and ride out every morning . I am hoping my glassing most of the day will pay off.

Well the plan has changed, after talking with some of the fellas around home about my plans they offered me a mule that I am seriously considering to purchase. So it looks like I will be hunting from the back of a mule this year.

Good advice "lazylabs". I carried a SPOT beacon for the 1st time this year and my wife love getting the pre-prepared messages and being able to see where I was on the online topo. map.

Plus, being a geezer, it was peace of mind for me too. My AAA Platinum membership covers up to $25,000. for rescue chopper flights so I felt "protected" from most mishaps. As a former ski patroller (16 years in both Alpine and Nordic patrols) I'm both prepared for self 1st aid and aware that I could need professional evac. as well. Being an experienced backpacker I know how to be careful in the wilds but I have also seen a few accidents and know i'm not invulnerable.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.