last day buck.

longgunshooter

sorry guys...no pics, had the camera, battery was full, shutter wouldnt open for some reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

after hunting 6 of the 9 day Utah General Season Deer Hunt, the last day sadly had to come. i do have to say that the Northern Region is in sad shape as far as numbers go, only spotted 13 bucks and 37 does...in seven days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. pitiful to what the population has been in the past.

first day located a real nice 22" 3x3 but he wasnt what i was looking for, so i pointed him out to a fellow that i met that morning just to watch him miss at 232yds...OOooop's!

second day. hunted hard all day and didnt see a deer...not one, not even a doe??... very strange, as there wasnt as much pressure as i was extecting....

had to work the 3/4th days...nice litte break from hiking in the snow.

on the 5th day of the season i changed locations and found a real dandy 5x4 just in time for the storm to hide him back up. spotted him at 1107yds, wind was HOWLING with the approaching storm so i had to see if i could close the range and ran out of time with the storm approaching so fast. visibility went from 1mile+ to 10yds in about 20 minutes. anybody been in a LIGHTENING storm while its SNOWING /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

the next day a friend of mine tagged along as he had already filled his tag. we spotted a nice little 4x4. i decided to try and take him as i had help to pack him out. range was only 177. a pop shot i know, or should i say, should have been. the buck was CLUELESS that we were there so i found a good rest, put the X on him and....missed clean...two feet above him...missed again...two feet above him...WTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. by this time the buck got up and was gone. leaving me with severe head scratchin'and a blow to my confidence. the shot was relativly straight across, so i thought maybe i had bumped it on the hike in. i stopped by the range on the way home, setup a 100yd target, first shot was high (as expected)adjusted half turn down, second shot hit the top of the paper (just barley), adjusted another half turn, third shot..perfect 3" high, confirmed it with one more right on top of the last one...confidence restored!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif possible cause: someone messed with my gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. let me explain. a while back i was doing my final group testing on some 30cal 200gr AB's i was planning on using this season. i found a load my gun REALLY liked. while shooting this final group the fellow adjacent to me on the firing line made a comment that my factory rig was producing better than his newly customized 6br...a little ignorat/snide remark but i didnt take him as serious, but he had to have spun my elevation up one full turn while i was collecting my targets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif its the ONLY thing that makes sence to the one full turn solution. its my own **** fault for not getting out and shooting one final time before the hunt commenced so... thats the breaks i guess. im just relieved to have found the solution, and not have wounded an animal in the process. let alone educate the big 4x5 the day before.

took a break on the 27th (wifes b-day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

hunted hard for that 4x5 until the last day, only to settle on a regressed 3x4. he was an old deer with very worn teeth, nearly flat. i made a 3/4 quartering to me shot @ 456yds. bullet entered on the third/fourth on side ribs, destroying the lungs with frag, contacted the offside hip joint with an exit of a golfball, dropping him like someone had switched the lights off and kept on sailing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif exactly the results i was hoping to find with these 200gr AB's. very nice IMO.

again let me aplologize for the no pics.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry.

Longgunshooter,

Sometimes its hard to but you made the right decision to pass on the big buck in the wind. Better to let him live for another day to hunt then risk wounding him and loosing the animal to a very slow painful death.

There will be another time and it sounds like you harvested a good old warrior!!

I think harvesting one of those real old bucks is about the best there is. Everyone wants a big, high scoring rack obviously but taking a very mature old buck is also very rewarding. Contrats!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Longunshooter,

[ QUOTE ]
again let me aplologize for the no pics.... sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no problem man , ........just don't ever let it happen again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

S'funny you speak about being on the firing line and not knowing / wondering what is going on while you are downrange. I have been there /done that and I don't like it .

At this point I figure " hey , I'm collecting targets or I need to , so why not put the wonderful shooting , very expensive , I can't afford to replace , rifle in my truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways , Jim B.

Longunshooter,
Great story! Sounds like a challenging hunt and a dramatic adventure. Tough luck on the 4x5, but good-on-ya for respecting the wind. I'm sure the old buck you got was no pushover; they don't get old from being stupid. Anyway, it's not the size of what's on his head; it's the memories in your head and the smile on your face that makes the real trophy.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I figure " hey , I'm collecting targets or I need to , so why not put the wonderful shooting , very expensive , I can't afford to replace , rifle in my truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways , Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i shudder the thought of explaining to the wife that i need to go and spend XX$$'s on another rifle...oooh that'd be good!

ohh boy....that lightening in the snow was UNREAL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif!!

another ten minutes is all i needed...

where the ol' boy that i ended up taking was hanging out could be a primer for my Rocky Mtn Sheep hunt that i'll be going on in the next FIFTEEN years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Longgunshooter,

Sometimes its hard to but you made the right decision to pass on the big buck in the wind. Better to let him live for another day to hunt then risk wounding him and loosing the animal to a very slow painful death.

There will be another time and it sounds like you harvested a good old warrior!!

I think harvesting one of those real old bucks is about the best there is. Everyone wants a big, high scoring rack obviously but taking a very mature old buck is also very rewarding. Contrats!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Kirby, exactly my thoughts...

BUT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif...a booner is the last on my list for a "Mulie Book Slam" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.