Lapua scenars on Game

Quarterbore

I have yet to find a pig to shoot but am looking desperatly for one to step in front of my .308 155 Lapua scenar bullet. If any body has any results of bullet preformance let me know, if not i hope to find out within the next 2 weeks and plan to give a full report.

Not used these on game myself.
They have become very popular amongst swedish hunters shooting capercaille and blackbirds due to little meat damage. I presume because of limited/no expansion.

I havent used them on game either but I did shoot side by side water melons at 300 yards with the 155 SCENAR and the 155 AMAX. I set up a video camera close by to review the results. The AMAX liquified the melon and the SCENAR split it in about 4 big chuncks along with a few smaller ones. Personaly I wouldnt use the 155 SCENAR for hunting big game.

Let us know what you find.

308win,

My scenar experience on '3D' targets is limited to the following observation that I made a while back on a different thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Encouraged by the SMK reports that I read when I first discovered this board, I experimented by shooting an unopened tin of tomatoes at 200m with a 167 lapua scenar out of a 308.

Expected an explosion; nothing happened.

Thought I'd missed.

However, it was drilled dead centre

Next time I'm attacked by tinned tomatoes, scenars will not be my projectile of choice

Each to his own I guess

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> The AMAX liquified the melon and the SCENAR split it in about 4 big chuncks along with a few smaller ones. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll remember that next melon bust party I have. I'll bet you don't get any lead contamination either. Far superior for splitting melons!

I think if you want a high BC/accurate <font color="purple"> HUNTING </font> bullet you'd be better off with Wildcat Bullets

Seems like the 155 AMAX will suffice as both,(high bc AND Hunting) I have taken a 3 differnt species with this bullet and it has preformed better than any other i have tried. and yes I was hoping the Lapua could do the same or at least be close but that is yet to be seen. Thanks for your replys

The Lapua's shoot great out of my guns accuracy wise but haven't shot any critters yet , the A-max's shoot well also and I have shot deer with them with good results
Anybody have an accurate BC for the 30 cal A-max's ?

Note: the Berger VLD's preformed good for me on deer lately also but only after trimming them with a Meplat uniformer to make the nose a little bigger out to 300ydfs I haven't seen any differance in the POI from when they came out of the box

.30 Amax's 155=.435 bc (Closer to .455 real world testing i've done) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
168 Amax's=.475
178 Amax's=.495

Same with 6.5 140gr Amax List=.550 but really closer to .615

308WIN,

The real world tests with the 155 AMAX in my rifle were .474 and the 155 SCENAR was .499 Both were tested with a 308 win, 24" bbl, 11.25x. The AMAX was 2898 FPS and the SCENAR was 2910 FPS. Both were fired at 100, 300, 600,800, 1000 yards. They both followed the G1 curve VERY closly with those BC's. The AMAX's were by far the most accurate at 1k in my rig. The best I did with the SCENAR was 5" and the worst with the AMAX was 4.5" There was no measurable wind. The best group was 3.5" Intersting fact was that the best the AMAX would do at 600 yards was 6". Those BC's will be higher or lower depending on the velocity and twist you are using.

Big Bore,

I dont know how you feel about punching a hole through a critters lungs such as the scenar will do. But I feel that punching a hole isnt near as effective as vaporizing the deers lungs such as the amax will do!

BTW I am having a melon splitting party tomarrow. Youre invited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.